Massive Tax Increase On Soft Drinks

RichardB

Sounds a good idea. Although most have a 'sugar free' version. Perhaps next we'll have the 6 o'clock news headline "Traces of sugar found in sugar free drinks. Supermarket shelves being cleared until test results come in". :wacko:

Deeply supportive. Your view ?

Alcoholic drinks are already taxed

Now that want to tax non alcoholic but high sugar drinks

..and I already pay my water rates / water bill for a supply of drinkable tap water used to make tea and coffee.

Perhaps we could simplify the taxation system here but just having a blanket flat rate tax on ALL drinks

Let me tell you how it will be

There's one for you, nineteen for me

'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small

Be thankful I don't take it all

'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,

If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.

If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,

If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for

If you don't want to pay some more

Taxman, Mr. Wilson, Taxman, Mr. Heath

Now my advice for those who die

Declare the pennies on your eyes

And you're working for no one but me.

Ok it wouldn't bother me because I don'y drink fizzy drinks unless it's sparkling wine but

how would soda water and tonic water be judged in this?

Maybe another one not thought through properly.

Breathing air will be taxed next...as my Granddad used to say! I don't use soft drinks preferring water... which, when you think about it, is in the long term one of the most corrosive and destructive fluids known to human kind...

Breathing air will be taxed next...as my Granddad used to say! I don't use soft drinks preferring water... which, when you think about it, is in the long term one of the most corrosive and destructive fluids known to human kind...

As a chemist I can think of fluids (solutions) which are much more corrosive, however, from this comment I suspect that you have read Rachel Carsons other and lesser known "scientific" book.

Her famous work is called "The Silent Spring" and is about the dangers of insecticides, particularly DDT, getting into the food chain

Her lesser known work is called "Sweet, White and Deadly" and is about the dangers of long term use of high dosage sugar in the diet and in it she makes a comment very similar to yours.

The real long term danger of high sugar levels is the increasing number of people who are now developing Type 2 Diabetes.

However, the solution to the problem is not just to slap a "sugar tax" on soft drinks, - the whole issue of dietry control, level and type of carbohydrates in the diet and other issues such as obesity and lifestyle are all contributary factors.

In any case, slapping a heavy tax on soft drinks would not solve the sugar problem, - just as it didn't stop the alcohol problem or smoking.

I have never read the book you mention but, as a keen observer of nature, I have noticed that given time, water not only erodes almost everything known to humankind.... but also corrodes, rots, dissolves almost everything else! I am not a chemist ( although I have an old- fashioned "O" level) but I remember reading this as an example of a dichotomy...".On the one hand life cannot exist without it and on the other hand.".....