Swindin House

southside

My 4x grandmothers second marriage in 1860 was to widower George Swindin. Address Swindin House, Bradfield.

Anyone have any idea as to the location of Swindin House.

Wikipedia says: "Fair House Farmhouse is believed to date from the 1630s and was originally called Swinden House" link here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_House_Farmhouse

Map:

attachicon.gifSwinden House Bradfield 1903.png

Photo:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s06359&prevUrl=

Ted.

The photo in the Wiki article is not the same building that is marked on the map.

Ted.

The photo in the Wiki article is not the same building that is marked on the map.

Well spotted Steve! Looking at Google Earth the building I coloured yellow looks like a barn. There were numerous buildings on the Fair House estate - maybe there was a Fair House AND a Fair House Farm (in same way as Longley House, Longley House Farm, Raisen Hall, Raisen Hall Farm). The building shown on the picture Sheffield site and named as Fair House Farm is stated to have been demolished in 1972 to build the bus turning point - this building must have been close by the side of the road.

The 1861 census shows Swinden House being separate (and with fewer occupants 9 as opposed to 18) to Fair (Fare) House:

Possibly Fair House was by the side of the road as it was used for business:

In November 1869 Benjamin Day successfully applied for a licence to use it as a beer-house.

In 1874 Jeremiah Buckley of Fair House advertised "TO SHOEMAKERS - Wanted - a Man for Strong Work"

In 1893 Joseph Earnshaw advertised "HOLIDAY MAKERS should go to Low Bradfield" and stay at Fair House.

In 1899 T Sanderson of Fair House was advertising for the Easter Holidays - Teas, hot water, Swings, Stabling available.

southside: you appear to have a celebrity in the family - George Swinden was a Waterworks Supervisor and played a major part in the Sheffield Flood (see pages 12 -16 here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pWYuAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=history+of+the+sheffield+flood&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dH0iUY3ENca-0QWXl4HQAw&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA

The 1864 Flood just missed Fare House Farm - the yard, barns and adjacent land were subjects of a claim:

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDetails.cfm?claim=6-4951

George Swindon mentioned here with respect to the night the dam burst:

http://mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/sheffield/thecause.html

The 1911 census summary shows that occupied dwellings at that point were Fair House Cottage, Fair House Shop and Fair House Farm:

Thanks Edmund & Steve

I`m descended from Ann Swindins first husband Joseph Cadman so no ties with George Swindin/Swindon sorry to say.

I don`t know how Swindin became Swindon or vice versa, as on their marriage cert its down as Swindin.

In 1871 it appears that Fair House is being used to house Excavator`s possibly working for the Sheffield Water Works.

1871 Census image of other Fair House in Low Bradfield and also Dale Dyke Office.

Well spotted Steve! Looking at Google Earth the building I coloured yellow looks like a barn. There were numerous buildings on the Fair House estate - maybe there was a Fair House AND a Fair House Farm (in same way as Longley House, Longley House Farm, Raisen Hall, Raisen Hall Farm). The building shown on the picture Sheffield site and named as Fair House Farm is stated to have been demolished in 1972 to build the bus turning point - this building must have been close by the side of the road.

The 1861 census shows Swinden House being separate (and with fewer occupants 9 as opposed to 18) to Fair (Fare) House:

attachicon.gif1861Census-Fare House.jpeg

attachicon.gif1861Census-Swinden House.jpeg

Possibly Fair House was by the side of the road as it was used for business:

In November 1869 Benjamin Day successfully applied for a licence to use it as a beer-house.

In 1874 Jeremiah Buckley of Fair House advertised "TO SHOEMAKERS - Wanted - a Man for Strong Work"

In 1893 Joseph Earnshaw advertised "HOLIDAY MAKERS should go to Low Bradfield" and stay at Fair House.

In 1899 T Sanderson of Fair House was advertising for the Easter Holidays - Teas, hot water, Swings, Stabling available.

southside: you appear to have a celebrity in the family - George Swinden was a Waterworks Supervisor and played a major part in the Sheffield Flood (see pages 12 -16 here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pWYuAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=history+of+the+sheffield+flood&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dH0iUY3ENca-0QWXl4HQAw&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA

I can remember buying bottles of pop in the 1950's from the building that stood by the road where the turning circle is now located.

HD

Thanks for the Archive link Edmund

There is another dwelling in Bradfield connected to Ann Swindin if anyone can help with its location.

In 1851 Ann Swindins first husband Joseph Cadman was living in Bradfield along with one of their sons at a dwelling called Cowell House.

Ann was with the rest of the family back in Sheffield.

Southside

A couple of newspaper reports from the Sheffield & Rotherham Independant one relating to Fair House and one from 1845 about a Guy trying to get a pint out of George Swindin.

Where is/was the Grouse Inn located in Bradfield and also Radford Street in Sheffield.

Southside

A couple of newspaper reports from the Sheffield & Rotherham Independant one relating to Fair House and one from 1845 about a Guy trying to get a pint out of George Swindin.

Where is/was the Grouse Inn located in Bradfield and also Radford Street in Sheffield.

Southside

attachicon.gifFair House 1869.jpg

attachicon.gifGeorge Swindin 1845.jpg

There was a Grouse Inn situated somewhere in the Upper Midhope area.

Here is Radford Street.

I was out walking today, went past the bus turning circle, had a squint over the wall... These are a couple of photos of the house marked in red on the map above. The was no name on the gate. It does look like the Fair House in the old photo, though from the road side, rather than the back:

Thurston Swindon applied to the crown circa 1598 Elizabeth I, to buy a parcel of land in nether Bradfield, it is supposed he managed to buy the land and he built Swindon House, now at present I am unsure if the cruck barn on this site was the original Swindon house or the large house next to the barn dates from This early date, I have a copy of a document that mentioned Swindon house a slated house in nether bradfield belonging to the Marriotts of Ughillwoodside circa 1612, perhaps Thurston had died and ownership had transferred to the Marriotts ,Thomas Revil and his wife Anne Revil (nee Wilson of Broomhead hall) lived at Swindon House circa 1687, if the cruck barn was the original Swindon house then Thomas had the big house built around this time, the story then goes cold. In the 19th century the house and barn coloured yellow on the map was known as Fair house It was used as a lodging house for the vicars of The parish of Ecclesfield when they travelled to St Nicholas church in high Bradfield, there is an engraving on a stone on the front of the barn that says “rebuilt as the sole  expense of the vicar” as apparently he was responsible for it burning down. Swindon house ( coloured red in the map) was still known by that name ,then at sometime in the 19th century it’s name changed to fair House Farm I think the house must have become the property of the owners of Fair House and was given the name Farm although the house was always a working farm, the house that was on what is now the bus turning circle was also called Fair house, I don’t quite understand how two houses came to be called Fair house, perhaps the one used by the vicars was demolished and the one over the road built and given the same name, This house was at sometime used as a shop and a lodging house it was pulled down c 1972 as it was described as unsanitary lots of house were pulled down In the area after the reservoirs were built  this reason was always given. Swindon house still stands (see photograph above) now called fairhouse farm, in the late 19th and early 20th it had tea rooms and swings etc on the land for visitors to the village, it is now grade 2 with a star as the interior of the house is virtually untouched the cruck barn is grade 2