Urban Programme For Sheffield (Late 80's)

History dude

I have in my possession a copy of the seventh Urban Programme Submission for Sheffield that dates to the late part of the 1980's.

For those who don't know, Urban Programme was a fund of money given by the Government to Local Authorities and the like to redevelop run down areas. Many millions of pounds were released, but by this time Sheffield was losing out to other areas. In total there were 15 L.A.'s that got cash. But by 1985 Sheffield, despite being the 3 largest city, was down to 9 in that 15, in terms of the money got from U.P..

All sorts of things were done with the money. However it was divided into two streams. Revenue - for wages etc. And Capitol for building. The first would leave no lasting impression on Sheffield, but the second did. I should point out that organisations such as voluntary projects could apply for the cash once Sheffield Council had it's share. Though it was easier to get the capitol than the other.

I should also point out that U.P. was scrapped and replaced by the Single Regeneration Budget. But in these days of cuts that's gone too!

The book I have includes many images, some of the before and after effects of the cash. I'm going to post some now and the rest will follow when I can find the time to scan them.

Now part of the report itself. Would they get away with this now I wonder?

Some more as promised :)

There's still more left.

Does anyone want to some of the text pages? Any specific areas for text if so?

Guest plain talker

I'm loving the pics of Carbrook School, Historydude!

My mother came from Carltonville Road, adjacent to the old school. I can remember it being sandblasted clean of the soot and grime, about a year after that 1966 picture was taken. I remember it because I was only a tot, being walked past the Terry Street corner on my way to my Grandpa's house, and some of the grit blew into my eye. I had a proper fit of the screaming ab-dabs about it.

In its latter days as an educational establishment Carbrook School was a Council nursery. They finally closed it when someone realised that just about all the local housing having gone, all the children were from the south-west of the city where there was a shortage of nursery places and parents were prepared to drive to Carbrook.

Hi there. Thanks for this. Is there anything regarding Clay St Attercliffe? Either the Tramcar PH or the houses opposite? Also anything on Colwall St? Any text would be helpful. Much appreciated.

Hi there. Thanks for this. Is there anything regarding Clay St Attercliffe? Either the Tramcar PH or the houses opposite? Also anything on Colwall St? Any text would be helpful. Much appreciated.

Sorry there isn't. All that left that I haven't posted is some derelict places on Attercliffe that are just wasteland and then transformed into green spaces. Plus some community project buildings and interior shots. The text of the book is mostly project descriptions or funding charts etc. Not specific to any streets or roads.

Sorry there isn't. All that left that I haven't posted is some derelict places on Attercliffe that are just wasteland and then transformed into green spaces. Plus some community project buildings and interior shots. The text of the book is mostly project descriptions or funding charts etc. Not specific to any streets or roads.

Well many thanks for the stuff posted anyway