Old Barns

dunsbyowl1867

Guest shellybarnes

There's a listed cruck barn at Priest Hill Farm above Forge dam, and I believe one of the cottages at Whiteley Wood Green has crucks inside.

Priest Hill farm also has a listed dovecote, which consists of three openings in a gable end!

Possibly? will check it out

Guest Trefcon

The cruck barn just across the road from Onesacre Hall, mid 17th century. Massive crucks these.

The last image shows the bricked up opening on the other side of the barn.

The cruck barn just across the road from Onesacre Hall, mid 17th century. Massive crucks these.

The last image shows the bricked up opening on the other side of the barn.

Is this Onesacre Oughtibridge? Tretcon [ I prefer your new ID}

Guest Trefcon

Thats right ukelele lady, a quite beautiful spot too.

I had a drive round with a mate of mine, Oughtibridge, Bradfield, lunch at the Old Horns!, Dam Flask, Redmires, Grenoside etc, etc.

I did get permission to enter the barn. You can see in the second from last image the hole in the roof were thieves have stolen the stone shingles !! There are Wiki articles on the area and Hall.

We did try and get pics of Oughtibridge Hall and its cruck barn but i didn't realise it was a private dwelling.

Dean.

( glad you like the new ID ) lol

Thats right ukelele lady, a quite beautiful spot too.

I had a drive round with a mate of mine, Oughtibridge, Bradfield, lunch at the Old Horns!, Dam Flask, Redmires, Grenoside etc, etc.

I did get permission to enter the barn. You can see in the second from last image the hole in the roof were thieves have stolen the stone shingles !! There are Wiki articles on the area and Hall.

We did try and get pics of Oughtibridge Hall and its cruck barn but i didn't realise it was a private dwelling.

Dean.

( glad you like the new ID ) lol

Shucks , you should have popped in for a cuppa, let me know next time.

Yes the Hall like every thing else is a private residence but nice people

and well looked after. That's much better than it falling apart.

Guest Trefcon

I would have loved a cuppa! maybe next time i'm up there. Which might be sooner rather than later. I'm trying to find the Roll of Honour for the Silica Fire Brick Works at Oughtibridge. An image of it appears in the book 'Wharncliffe & Oughtibridge Past' by Andrew Crofts. I'm trying to find contact details for Andrew to ascertain the whereabouts of said 'Roll'. Would there be a local history group in Oughtibridge?

Dean.

I would have loved a cuppa! maybe next time i'm up there. Which might be sooner rather than later. I'm trying to find the Roll of Honour for the Silica Fire Brick Works at Oughtibridge. An image of it appears in the book 'Wharncliffe & Oughtibridge Past' by Andrew Crofts. I'm trying to find contact details for Andrew to ascertain the whereabouts of said 'Roll'. Would there be a local history group in Oughtibridge?

Dean.

I'm trying to track Andrew down for you (I live in the Oughtibridge area) ...... his mother still lives in Wharncliffe Side but I am told she is a very private person, the latest I have is that he lives in the Notts/Linc area ...... I will keep you posted.

Here's a 360 view from a few weeks ago of Onesacre and its barn, before the rape turned colour

http://www.360cities.net/image/rapeseed-early#-7.75,-10.55,70.0

Dean.

There's no history group in Oughtibridge that I know of, if there is they don't

plug it enough.

Doug Sanderson who knew most of Oughtibridge history wrote a book

just before he died. There's a new housing estate on what used to be the

Silica Works. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Guest Trefcon

I might be on to something!

One of our fellow forumers 'bumped' into his mum in Oughtibridge yesterday and passed on a message.

Here's hoping.

Guest Gramps

Books about Oughtibridge.

A Layman's look at the history, industry, people and places of Oughtibridge, Worrall and Wharncliffe Side - Sanderson, Doug

Wharncliffe & Oughtibridge past : in pictures - Crofts, Andrew

Both available from Sheffield libraries.

And this looks interesting, available for reference only at Stocksbridge library.

Owd Ooty : once upon a time, a peep into the past at Oughtibridge - Sensicall, Robert A

:unsure: Apologies....I just remembered this thread is supposed to be about timber framed buildings

I might be on to something!

One of our fellow forumers 'bumped' into his mum in Oughtibridge yesterday and passed on a message.

Here's hoping.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) your search for the roll of honour may soon be over. When I returned home I had a message that the roll still exists and is in the safe keeping of a local family ..... I will find out more later this week.

In the meantime I am sending you a PM with a few more details.

Dean.

Result! ....... Met up with Andrew today and the "local" who now is looking after the roll of honour for the silica works. The fist thing you notice is the size of the roll, it only measures just over 7"x 10" and is pasted onto brown card. The printing is very stylized, a printed frame around the border and the printers name looks like "Money & Co. 40 Bank Street Sheffield" could be wrong though. The roll from 1914 lists Killed, Wounded, Prisoner and Discharged staff and employees of The Yorkshire Silica Fire Brick Works.

Dean ..... I'm sending you some photos and a bit more info in a PM

The printing is very stylized, a printed frame around the border and the printers name looks like "Money & Co. 40 Bank Street Sheffield" could be wrong though.

Honey & Co. illuminators, Temple chambers, 40 Bank Street.

1925 Kelly's

Oh and .. Good work! Dr S

Result! ....... Met up with Andrew today and the "local" who now is looking after the roll of honour for the silica works. The fist thing you notice is the size of the roll, it only measures just over 7"x 10" and is pasted onto brown card. The printing is very stylized, a printed frame around the border and the printers name looks like "Money & Co. 40 Bank Street Sheffield" could be wrong though. The roll from 1914 lists Killed, Wounded, Prisoner and Discharged staff and employees of The Yorkshire Silica Fire Brick Works.

Dean ..... I'm sending you some photos and a bit more info in a PM

That's fantastic, I can see a lot of familiar names which most likely have connections

with the people that still live local.

Barns in urban parts of Sheffield tend to vanish quick.

Here are couple that I photographed in the 1980's.

The first is at Richmond, which I don't know if it's still there!

The same picture without colour restoration.

The next was on Holybank Road Intake near the Rex. I think this has now gone. Again with or without colour restoration.

Guest Trefcon

I've merged your thread Dude with one with the same theme, wonder if you can get inside the barn still standing for some shot's ?

Dean.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2009 at 11:32 AM, Gramps said:

That will be Ryders's book ??

I think that cruck building in Concord Park was the old tithe barn for Ecclesfield Priory. Great photos BTW, - especially with the snow :) Hatfield House on Hatfield House lane is a cruck building - I had an unauthorised peek inside when it was being modernised many years ago. This house is reputed to be what remains of Renathorpe Hall.

There is book by Bessie Bunker on Cruck Buildings covering S Yorks and N Derbs. with a list of buildings she found. This was published 1970 so some then existing on the list may now have disappeared.

post-2650-1234955937_thumb.jpg

post-2650-1234955954_thumb.jpg

I've just got hold of my GGGGGGrandfather's will from 1812.  At the time of his death he was living at "Tythe Laith" in Ecclesfield (I assume "Tythe Laith" means Tithe Barn). I'm trying to pin down exactly where it was.

Is there any evidence that the Concord Park building was originally the tithe barn for the Priory?  Were there any other tithe barns for Ecclesfield?

I wonder would Mason Lathe (Rd) on lower Shiregreen have had any connection with an ancient barn ,....before the estate was built?.

I once read that Hatfield House had been occupied by our famous local historian and natural scientist Dr Hunter.

4 hours ago, tozzin said:

I see there's no mention of the 16th century cruck barn on Wilson Place, still standing.

barn.thumb.jpg.917aeebb81d06db1f8f77adb7