The Sunbeam, Barnsley Road.

dunsbyowl1867

Never knew it as a cinema thought visited the chip shop across the road many times!

From "Bandstand to Monkey Run" Voices from Firth Park

"the Sunbeam Cinema just accross the road was very handy. It cost about 9d to get in in 1958. The Sunbeam had sweeping staircases leading from the foyer to the balcony, they were all carpeted but I think the entrance hall was done in marble. I used to think of it as a palace."

Guest echo

If I remember rightly, the screen was at the back of you when you entered the auditorium.

Guest tsavo

The Sunbeam was one of those cinemas whose building in 1920s had been delayed by the City Council who banned all new builds to stop labour being diverted from house building. It was eventually opened in 1922. It would seat around 1300 and a Billiard Hall alongside the cinema was opened in 1927. It closed in September 1961.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

The Sunbeam was one of those cinemas whose building in 1920s had been delayed by the City Council who banned all new builds to stop labour being diverted from house building. It was eventually opened in 1922. It would seat around 1300 and a Billiard Hall alongside the cinema was opened in 1927. It closed in September 1961.

I think the Sunbeam was one of the suburban cinemas that opened on a Sunday when many others refused to do so, and, as a consequence, me and a few pals went along on a number of occasions --even though, at the time, we were at least a few months under-age.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid
I think the Sunbeam was one of the suburban cinemas that opened on a Sunday when many others refused to do so, and, as a consequence, me and a few pals went along on a number of occasions --even though, at the time, we were at least a few months under-age.

Guest tsavo

The Sunbeam Pictures, Barnsley Rd.

Set back from Barnsley Road, the Sunbeam, with it's brick and stucco building was designed by architect Walter J Buck, a director of the cinema. A monumental parapet on the front of the building incorporated an embossed rising sun motif. The building of the Sunbeam was delayed for over a year, as the council had a policy at the time, banning non essential building work, to ensure that new house building would not be halted or delayed by a lack of labour and materials. It opened in December 1922 with an auditorium that had seating for around 1,350 including the balcony whose seating was described as luxurious with ample leg room. Within weeks of the opening, prices were reduced in line with other East End cinema's.

In 1930, the Sunbeam changed over from silent to sound films. With hindsight the decision to install the Cinephone system using sound recorded on disc, was a mistake, and Western Electric sound equipment was brought in to replace this in 1932. This followed the introduction of the new international sound standard of an optical soundtrack on film.

In 1935, a covering shelter was built along the side of the cinema and an extended front canopy was installed a year later.

Sunday openings were introduced in 1954 and the first CinemaScope feature "A Star is Born" was screened in April 1956.

The Sunbeam closed on the 2nd September 1961, after a final children's programme of "Son of Sinbad" and "Tarzan's Hidden Jungle."

Info: Sheffield Cinemas.

--------------------

History will never make things better, but one day may stop someone making things worse.

I went to The Sunbeam a few times after The Victory closed. Don't remember much about it apart from going though.

John