Hangingwater Road

jimmydunneclone

Are there any pictures of Hangingwater Rd before the Close was built in 1968?

(The part that drops down from Fulwood Rd).

Richard,the last 2 are of the correct part of Hangingwater Rd but too far down to see.I've seen those pictures.

No problem, just dropped a link for newer members.

Richard,the last 2 are of the correct part of Hangingwater Rd but too far down to see.I've seen those pictures.

Are there any pictures of Hangingwater Rd before the Close was built in 1968?

(The part that drops down from Fulwood Rd).

I am guessing the close was built on the garden/ land of the house on the corner of Fulwood and Hangingwater rds, I can sort of remember it being built as I used to walk up to Gowers and Burgons at Ranmoor with mum a couple of times a week. I would have been 7 or 8 at the time.

The key to the name "Hangingwater" is the "ing" part -- an intake or small field.

So the name may indicate an intake on a sloping ("hang") site.

I am guessing the close was built on the garden/ land of the house on the corner of Fulwood and Hangingwater rds, I can sort of remember it being built as I used to walk up to Gowers and Burgons at Ranmoor with mum a couple of times a week. I would have been 7 or 8 at the time.

Yes I'm sure it was.I remember Gowers too-can't find any photos of that either...

Would that be The Elms?

Would that be The Elms?

The big house on the corner is called Elmsdale but I think the smaller one in it's grounds might be The Elms.I will look on my way home...

The big house on the corner is called Elmsdale but I think the smaller one in it's grounds might be The Elms.I will look on my way home...

The end overlooking Hangingwater is now a flat. My daughter lived there for a while, and the name on the gate was The Elms, but maybe that was just that part. Given the names of the other big houses around Ranmoor Elmsdale sounds more likely for the big house!

The end overlooking Hangingwater is now a flat. My daughter lived there for a while, and the name on the gate was The Elms, but maybe that was just that part. Given the names of the other big houses around Ranmoor Elmsdale sounds more likely for the big house!

Went past The Elms last night.It is the small(er) house in the grounds of Elmsdale.

Went past The Elms last night.It is the small(er) house in the grounds of Elmsdale.

I went past myself this afternoon, the little gate on hangingwater says The Elms, but the big gate on the corner as you rightly said , says Elmdale.

Guest plain talker

Yes I'm sure it was.I remember Gowers too-can't find any photos of that either...

Gower and Burgons had branches all over Sheffield. There was one at the side of the John O'Gaunt on Blakstock Road Shops,

There was one on Park hill Flats' shopping precinct,

I remember one at Gleadless Townend, and I am sure there was one by Sheffield Lane top, though I am prepared to be wrong.( I seem to remember someone mentioning a G&B at Ecclesfield)

picturesheffield has a couple of pics of Gower and Burgons branches at Hackenthorpe, and Staniforth Road

Could this store on Fulwood Rd, ranmoor be the start of Gower and Burgon empire?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19518&pos=127&action=zoom&id=22057

Yes thats it but the store in the Sixties was set back where the two houses are in the photo-as you'll probably remember.It's now a tandoori house.

Presumably Hangingwater Rd and Nethergreen Rd used to be called Fulwood Rd initially? Am I right in thinking the long straight bit above Elmsdale was built to facilitate the tram in order to run it to Nethergreen? The original run of Fulwood Rd dropped down to Hangingwater from Ranmoor before going straight up the hill to Fulwood.

Yes, the straight section of Fulwood Road at this point was built by George Wostenholm just before 1860. He created it as part of his preparations for what became the Storth Crescent Estate, which included Gladstone and Graham Roads. A footpath had previously run across the gap, which now had to be stopped up.

Details and maps of this and associated developments are covered in The Growth of Ranmoor, Hangingwater and Nether Green (2009) by, er, me. It’s available at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growth-Ranmoor-Hangingwater-Nethergreen/dp/0901100854/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301338671&sr=1-1

Peter Warr