German Silver

History dude

I discovered one of my ancestor a Benton who in his will was a German Silver maker in Sheffield.

So what's the difference? And why was it made in Sheffield. By the way he came from Birmingham to Sheffield and was not from Germany. He is also mentioned as a Brass Founder. Any connection between the two trades?

I discovered one of my ancestor a Benton who in his will was a German Silver maker in Sheffield.

So what's the difference? And why was it made in Sheffield. By the way he came from Birmingham to Sheffield and was not from Germany. He is also mentioned as a Brass Founder. Any connection between the two trades?

Thomas Benton, German silver caster, Rodley Lane,

house, St. Mary's Road.

Very intresting on both accounts. Though I suspect Thomas is a relation, he's not the chap in question, as the ancestor I found was Samuel John Benton (1846-1893). Though he must have known Thomas.

If, as Steve has posted above, German silver is the "white copper" alloy of copper, nickel and zinc then there is very close connection between German Silver and Brass foundry. Brass itself is an alloy of just copper and zinc (without the nickel, which makes it "white" or "silver" in colour) and most alloys would be made by melting the metals together and so would be cast, - which is foundry work.

house, St. Mary's Road.

I wonder why those street names sound so familiar, not from the 1860's, - but just over 100 years later. ;-)

Hey dude,

take a look at the 1871 census image in this post

another 'Benton' (German Silver founder) also from Birmingham.

Hey dude,

take a look at the 1871 census image in this post

another 'Benton' (German Silver founder) also from Birmingham.

Well spotted Steve!

Yes he's one of mine. 2nd Cousin 4X removed it says on Ancestry tree software! 10 years later he's at 185 Victoria Road with his wife and NINE kids! He died in 1915, with a total of 11 children to his name if my records are right.

I can confirm that they are brothers. Thomas got me a bit confused as is full name is Thomas Henry, but census often don't report middle names. He died in 1917 and was born 1851.

Even my line - George - Matthew - were Silversmiths. Talk about being born with a Silver Spoon in your mouth, even my Grandfather was connected to the trade. It stops there though!

Thomas Benton, German silver founder, 8 St. Mary's Road (1857).

house, St. Mary's Road.

I was looking at the Sheffield Assay office website and it says there was great rivalry between the Birmingham and Sheffield sides of the Silver Industry. But it seems that an entire branch of the Bentons moved to Sheffield. I always assumed that there was some kind of connection between the two areas in regards the Silver industry. But I'm not so certain now. Would the Sheffield Silver people like this invasion of Brummies? And what would have made the Bentons want to leave friendly folks for the rival area of Sheffield?

Guest Keith Clark

I grew up on Leadmill Road, from 1956 until 1968, but the back gennel of our terrace came out onto Fornham Street. The gable end of Benton Bros works was yards away from there. As a child I often wondered what went on in there, and it seemed to fall out of use before we moved. I do have a photograph of it, but am not sure how to load it on here, sorry!

On 30/11/2020 at 21:32, Guest Keith Clark said:

I grew up on Leadmill Road, from 1956 until 1968, but the back gennel of our terrace came out onto Fornham Street. The gable end of Benton Bros works was yards away from there. As a child I often wondered what went on in there, and it seemed to fall out of use before we moved. I do have a photograph of it, but am not sure how to load it on here, sorry!

I would say that this photo of Benton Brothers, was taken on Fornham Street, I lived just round the corner, on St. Mary's Road.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/;s38616

s38616.jpg