Tapton School

sixspeed

Hi. As a newcomer to this I am still feeling my way around. I was a pupil at Tapton Secondary Modern School between 1966 and 1970. My family and I moved away from Sheffield in 1973. I recently heard that Tapton School had closed/moved or was no longer a school, can anyone help with this? Also if you went to Tapton during that time I would love to hear from you.

The 'old' school was knocked down around 2000 and a brand new school built. Actually it was the other way around in that the new school was built on the old field and then the old school knocked down. There is a car park where the old school was. The only building that you might remember that is still standing is the caretakers old house.

I went there in 1973 as you left, and my youngest is just about to end her stay there as she completes her A levels this year.

On 1/26/2013 at 15:44, sixspeed said:

Hi. As a newcomer to this I am still feeling my way around. I was a pupil at Tapton Secondary Modern School between 1966 and 1970. My family and I moved away from Sheffield in 1973. I recently heard that Tapton School had closed/moved or was no longer a school, can anyone help with this? Also if you went to Tapton during that time I would love to hear from you.

My Name Tina Hull i went to tiptoe secondary school in the late 1960s and 70s in my class at registration were the following

stephen hudson

amanda housley

ruth oldfield

jane depledge

morag hartley

Hia, before finding TAPTON SCHOOL mentioned on here, I had already replied to this request by sixspeed, that was on Sheffield People Reunited for Nov 2013, under the heading of 'still searching'.  So will repeat the info I gave.

I went to Tapton from Sept 1964 - July 1968. The school houses were, Brown, Firth, Mappin and Osbourne. Our form teachers over the four years were Mr Grant and Mr Phillips. The lady who took us girls for sewing classes was called Mrs Korklin ( maybe spelt wrong ) On a really hot day, an Ice Cream Van was allowed to stand at the school gate entrance, and we could buy all kinds of flavoured lollipops. I am still good friends with two other girls who were there then. 

! After talking to my other 2 friends, we have named other teachers you might remember, + another form teacher. Mr Fry - Miss Hart - Miss Laver - Miss Hibberd - and the first head we knew there was Mr May. Although still called by her maiden name, Miss Hibberd was actually Mr May's wife.

I was at Tapton from 1964 to 1969.

The school house I was in was Allen which was blue. The other houses were Firth (Yellow), Mappin (Red) & Osbourn (Green)

The forms I was in were 1C (Miss Croft later Mrs Gobbere), 2K (Mrs Korklin definitely with a K) , 3xH (Miss Hibberd later Mrs May), 4xB (Mr Barton), 5xS (Mr Shaw)

I've got a collection of pictures at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/295743/album/599649

This picture is quite interesting of the teachers at that time http://www.ipernity.com/doc/295743/29677155

4 hours ago, Dave Milner said:

The school house I was in was Allen which was blue. The other houses were Firth (Yellow), Mappin (Red) & Osbourn (Green)

The forms I was in were 1C (Miss Croft later Mrs Gobbere), 2K (Mrs Korklin definitely with a K) , 3xH (Miss Hibberd later Mrs May), 4xB (Mr Barton), 5xS (Mr Shaw)

I've got a collection of pictures at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/295743/album/599649

This picture is quite interesting of the teachers at that time http://www.ipernity.com/doc/295743/29677155

Hi Dave, I stand 'corrected' on the Allen House, we'd all got Brown in our heads, guess it was from us all being in Firth. Thanks also for the assurance of the correct spelling of Korklin. You were there at the same time as us, but in totally different classes. Don't know about you, but our class had one term of French when we first went there, the teacher left to have her baby and that was it, we never had anymore.

I remember having Mr Grant for History.

I also remember having a young French Canadian woman for french in my 1st year but can't remember what her name was.  Miss Barnard possibly or something like that???

Hi to anyone reading this. I must apologise for the long delayed reply.

Hi Dave, I enjoyed browsing through your photos, brought back many varied memories of a much more innocent time.

I was in the house of Osbourn for my sins. One or two teachers names have come to mind, Mr Douty, Mr O'keefe, Mr North (big cheese) Mrs Dixon, Mrs Tucker, Mr Peterkin and my personal favourite Miss Ash / Mrs Bedingfield.

Hopefully someone out there will read this and maybe reply.

Regards Chris

On 27/03/2018 at 10:52, Dave Milner said:

I was at Nether Green school and left 1959 before Tapton was built. Mrs Korklin was my form teacher for two years. She was a little terror.

On one occasion she was coming to our classroom when a lot of the pupils were talking. When she got in she said "WHO WAS TALKING". Nobody owned up so she got the two in the front desk to come forward to her and gave the both one stroke of the cane on the hand. She then proceeded to give one stroke of the cane to everybody in the class then said "Ive got the one who was making all the noise now".

I think a parent must have complained about this so we got a screaming from her at us about her being "The Jewish holy terror of Nether Green and only five feet tall" She certainly was fond of the cane. I don't think teachers are allowed these days to act like she used to.

"Korky" was also my form teacher at Tapton in 1967. I never got the cane but a couple of my mates did, they didn't go back for seconds.As you correctly put it, a 5ft horror, but she got results. I think there should be more teachers like her in this day and age, she got respect and got the job done. Can you imagine some of todays young layabouts getting the cane off Korky, how degrading and embarrassing for them? I for one would pay good money to see that.

On 29/06/2019 at 21:22, sixspeed said:

One or two teachers names have come to mind, Mr Douty, Mr O'keefe, Mr North (big cheese) Mrs Dixon, Mrs Tucker, Mr Peterkin and my personal favourite Miss Ash / Mrs Bedingfield.

Miss Ash lived on Sandygate Park Road before she married & she drove a little red sports car.

I've attached the picture from my webpage of the Tapton teachers in the min-1960s. The quality isn't brilliant as it's a scan of a photocopy.

These are names I can remember:

Back row (L-R): Mr Fry, Mr Haywood, Mr Achurch, Mr McGrady, Mr Fitzpatrick, Mr Yeats, Mr Philips, Mr Kicks
Short centre row: Mr North, Mr May, Mr Vickers, Mr O'Keefe
Middle row: Mr Stokes, Mr Shaw, Miss ?, Miss Crofts (Gobbere), Miss Ash, Miss Carter (Pointen), Mr Doughty, Mr Peterkin
Short right row: Miss Hibberd (May) Miss ?, Miss ? Miss ?, Miss Laver, Miss ?, Miss ?
Front row: Mrs Tucker, Mrs Korklin, Mrs McDonald?, Miss Hart, Miss ?, Miss Wilkinson, Miss ?, Miss ?

teachersa.jpg

Hi all.  Robin Porter here.

It was great to hear from you.

I was at tapton from 1964 to 1969.

I just about remember you Dave -we were in the same class -  all this has got me thinking about my school days.

Looking at the old photo's with the names shown brought back so many memories.

I'll be in touch soon.

Cheers  Rob Porter

• Like 1

Guest Penny Edwards

Hi, just found this site while looking for old photos, I was at Tapton in the 60's I think I left in 64. I was one of the first 1st years to go to tapton . I remember Mr North as head teacher, Mr May as deputy head.  The French mistress I remember was Miss Richardson and she was "involved" with Mr Wainwright one of the sports teachers. Although I didn't have her as a teacher I do remember Mrs Taylor, she didn't like me because my brother Tony who was a couple of years above me made her life hell. I also remember Miss ??? who was a PE  teacher and there was some gossip about her and Mr Clark one of the science teachers. I have enjoyed so much looking at the photos although I don't remember names I do recognise faces of some of my old class mates.

On 24/10/2020 at 20:11, Guest Penny Edwards said:

Hi, just found this site while looking for old photos, I was at Tapton in the 60's I think I left in 64. I was one of the first 1st years to go to tapton . I remember Mr North as head teacher, Mr May as deputy head.  The French mistress I remember was Miss Richardson and she was "involved" with Mr Wainwright one of the sports teachers. Although I didn't have her as a teacher I do remember Mrs Taylor, she didn't like me because my brother Tony who was a couple of years above me made her life hell. I also remember Miss ??? who was a PE  teacher and there was some gossip about her and Mr Clark one of the science teachers. I have enjoyed so much looking at the photos although I don't remember names I do recognise faces of some of my old class mates.

Hi Penny,
I have quite a few photos at:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/295743/album/599649

Hi

I am Mike Anderson and was at Tapton from 1966 to 1971.  I have attached a few photographs of my time there. More than happy for them to used.

Tapton 1966-67 Class.jpg

Tapton 1966-67. Football.jpg

Tapton 1968-69 Basketball.jpg

Tapton 1968-69 Football.jpg

Tapton 1970-71 (1).jpg

Tapton 1970-71 (2).jpg

Tapton 1970-71.jpg

• Like 1

I was at Tapton until 1969.My eldest brother David was there until 1966. My younger brother Andrew was there until 1970 . My youngest brother Paul was there until 1973 . Our surname is Bower.David died in 1988, Andrew lives in America, Paul lives in France and I live in Crosspool and my name is Chris.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 01:02, chrislwg said:

I was at Tapton until 1969.My eldest brother David was there until 1966. My younger brother Andrew was there until 1970 . My youngest brother Paul was there until 1973 . Our surname is Bower.David died in 1988, Andrew lives in America, Paul lives in France and I live in Crosspool and my name is Chris.

Hi Chris,
I remember you from Tapton & we were in the same class, certainly in the 5th year (5xS).
Hope you are well.

Hi

I'm sorry I don't recall that name, the only person I can remember with a similar name was Keith BowYer.

If I remember correctly the family lived at Lodge Moor and the father owned a butchers shop.

Regards

Chris

Hi Dave,

Yes we were in the same class , I remember you . Are you still in Sheffield ! , we’ve lived in Crosspool since 1990. Wasn’t there a Paul Bowyer in our year Dave, as six speed says ,he lived at Lodge Moor .

• Like 1

Yes Chris there was Paul Bowyer who lived at Lodge Moor. He had a butchers shop at Hathersage until he retired