What Do You Know About This Cinema ?

Sheffield History

Used to go to the Saturday afternoon kids shows, .As I grew older, we used to ask grown ups to take us into the 'A' rated films. Not to be recommended these days though. Attended my first X rated film there even though I was only 15. Sorry to seee the old girl go.

The Forum.

It's "The Ritz", junction of Wordsworth Avenue and Southey Green Road.

I don't think this one was ever called the Forum. It was always called the Ritz and built in 1937 to serve the new Parson Cross estates.

The Forum was at the highest point of Herries Road and was later called the Essoldo.

Again not to be confused with another Essoldo at the Sheffield Lane Top which started out as a Capitol and finished up as a Vogue.

Did you get all that because I will be asking questions at the end of the lesson. :)

HD

Mr Hilldweller is spot on, this is a postcard of the Forum on Herries Road which is where the Tesco now stands next to the Devonshhire pub.

Th

Confusing yes.

I was taken regularly to these when I stayed at Grandma and Grandad's house in the early 50's.

To us, The Essaldo was known as "Essaldo Lane Top" so as not to be confused with the Forum.

And yes, as far as I know, the one at the bottom of Southey Hill was only called The Ritz.

Known as the Ritz, Parsons Cross opening on 6th December 1937 with Bing Crosby in 'Pennies From Heaven'. It seated around 1700 patrons. It came under Star Cinemas control in 1961 (The Leeds based Star company took over many of Sheffield's suburban cinemas) and its final film was screened on 9th November 1966 - Kin Novak in 'The Amorous Adventures Of Moll Flanders'. It immediately re-opended as a Star Bingo & Social Club which ran successfully for many years.

Guest Coldstreamer

I know I'm behind time in joining this topic but I don't think it is the Ritz on Wordsworth Avenue. the cinema was by the side of a roundabout in the centre of Wordsworth Ave, Southey Green Rd and Southey Hill. This photo clearly shows a three way junction and no roundabout. As to what and where this is I don't know. I must admit it looks much like it but sorry to throw doubt into the conversation.

This is most definitely The Ritz, Parsons Cross.

The two photos here show it in it’s final days and when it was a Bingo hall...David’s Place

large_zpsdb4efda4.jpgs21370_zps61af67a6.jpg

Guest Coldstreamer

Further to my recent post. My unreserved apologies to all. I agree it is {or was) the Ritz on Wordsworth Avenue/Southey Green Road. I was confused by the camera position as the roundabout in the middle of the road was not shown. I used to pass this building at least 4 times a day, five days a week for about 10 years so really should have known better. Very sorry.

Further to my recent post. My unreserved apologies to all. I agree it is {or was) the Ritz on Wordsworth Avenue/Southey Green Road. I was confused by the camera position as the roundabout in the middle of the road was not shown. I used to pass this building at least 4 times a day, five days a week for about 10 years so really should have known better. Very sorry.

Nothing to worry about Coldstreamer, we all make mistakes.