Crookesmoor Road Shops.

jimmydunneclone

Up until the mid '80's there were 5 shops next to the Unity Church on Crookesmoor Rd.These are now flats.Does anyone know of anywhere where there are photos of these shops?On picture Sheffield there is one taken from the top of Conduit Lane opposite but only three frontages are visible.

My grandmother and some of her family lived opposite the Unitarian church, on the corner of Crookesmoor road and Conduit road.  I recall in the 1950s being sent to return empty soda (lemonade or Tizer) bottles to the shop nearest the church and getting a few pennies in exchange. Was it tuppence a bottle?  They also sold ice creams - the small cylindrical ones with a wrapper around the outer edge. Here's a photo of me and my cousins - taken in the garden with the church in the background.  At the extreme left of the image there might be a glimpse of the shop fascia - but I guess it's just wishful thinking!

CrookesmoorRoad-c1954.jpg.d3b4349480b3f4b365fdf2578e9a4b1b.jpg

I went to Cubs in that Unitarian Church for three or for years. I can still remember the smell of dust and damp in the building.