The Montgomery Hall.

syrup

Hi fellow SH's Just found this newspaper cutting showing a review of Oklahoma in what i believe to be the Telegraph sorry i dont have a date and the quality is not perfect the reverse side is also interesting.

I remember the Mongomery Hall well - it was probably the main venue for all the Amatuer Operatic companies in Sheffield. It also had a good restaurant downstairs.

I also seem to remember that upstairs were the premises of the Sheffield Sunday School Union or similar organisation and at one time the Sheffield Depot of The Boys Brigade.

Anybody have similar memories?

John

Guest tsavo

Hi fellow SH's Just found this newspaper cutting showing a review of Oklahoma in what i believe to be the Telegraph sorry i dont have a date and the quality is not perfect the reverse side is also interesting.

The Gaumont was just reopening after some alterations showing SOS Pacific which was released in December 1959. Great cutting, love the ad for gents collars at 3d a dozen!

Arch-Goon Harry Secombe makes an effective appearance in a fairly straight dramatic role in this mid-air bomb-in-plane drama with some moments of tension, although not enough. Secombe joins an all-star cast that includes Stanley Baker, Diane Cilento, Mai Zetterling, Elizabeth Sellars, Marty Wilde and show business personalities Bernard Braden and Barbara Kelly. Richard Attenborough gives another impassioned performance of a disturbed man, following his work in The Man Upstairs.

----------------------------------------------

I remember it well, I was waiting to be born, just 3 years to go !