wisewood school sponsored walk

student nurse

Are there any ex wisewood comp pupils out there? Do you remember the 10 mile sponsored walk done every year?? from school up past the old convent down to Bradfield and back again. I remember doing the full 10 miles every year until the 4th year when my mates and i discovered the bus then we cheated!!! we had to get signatures from teachers who were dotted around the course to prove we had done the full 10 miles. lol lol

Guest coffee cup

Yes I remember taking part in these sponsored walks on a Thursday afternoon every year. Most of the teachers used to take part as well. I remember the teachers that didn't take part used to placed at various points on the walk to make sure none of us cheated. I remember they were great fun with the added bonous of us not having to wear our uniforms that afternoon.

:):) :)

had forgotten about that. it always used to be sunny and i remember calling inat the shop near the cricket ground i think for a drink and sweets. happy days lol

I remember doing that walk. I think I only did it once though.

What I also remember is the cross country run over the common we had to do sometimes during games which I hated doing. The male games teachers back then were Mr hodgkinson and Mr Davies. I also remember having to go down to Marlcliffe once a week to use the gym as wisewood didn't have one.

Andy

Guest coffee cup

You have brought back awful memories of the cross country runs we had to do over the common as it was usually raining.

Also remember going down to Marcliffe school, not only for the Gym but we also used two science Labs down there as well. Used to go for Chemistry there with Mr Crompton and Mr Cooper.

Crikey were we all in the same year at school or what? i was there between 1975 and 1980 Mr Hook was the head teacher, Mr Turner the deputy and Mrs Greenfield was the assistant head. :unsure:

Yes, it did always seem to be raining for the cross country runs. I'm sure you had to be a sadist to be a games teacher back then. I remember them miserably, cold and wet with a snotty nose. I remember Crompton being the chemistry teacher, but not Cooper. Could be my memory though.

I can remember the female games teacher, but can't recall her name. She had very short blond straight hair, and always seemed to be in dark blue stretchy joggers.

will ask my hubby as he was in the same year as me and has a better memory too. lol

1965 eh i was only a bairn then just a year old went to marlcliffe tho trying to remember the names of teachers. Mr Thraves was one, Mr Ellingham was the head master :unsure:

I remember Ellingham. Also Miss Arthur who taught me French, and Mr Abrahamson (or Abraham) who was my form teacher in the final year at Marlcliffe. If I heard the teachers names again, I'd recognise them, but just can't remember them.

unfortunatley hubby's memory isn't as good as i thought typical male!!! lol

Yep, Mycock and Farley I remember. Didn't they teach the younger children (on the ground floor)?

yes i think so. there was a teacher who had a classroom on the stairs at the far end she was as old as the hills but can't remember her name <_<

Guest coffee cup

Yes, it did always seem to be raining for the cross country runs. I'm sure you had to be a sadist to be a games teacher back then. I remember them miserably, cold and wet with a snotty nose. I remember Crompton being the chemistry teacher, but not Cooper. Could be my memory though.

I can remember the female games teacher, but can't recall her name. She had very short blond straight hair, and always seemed to be in dark blue stretchy joggers.

Mrs Warren, Miss Wileman, then later Miss Scott came later

Guest coffee cup

All you ex Wisewood , I put a thread on in reply to one, about Which School you went to and what you remember, this would have been around April, I listed some of the teachers I could Remember, it may bring back memories for you.

Wisewood 1975 - 1981

Guest coffee cup

Student Nurse,

I am guessing you were in the same year as me at school. What form were you in ? What House were you in ?

I was in 1.2 2.2 3.2 then 4m, 5m then did a year in 6th form to re sit my chemistry.

Do you remember in the 4th year we changed ties to black with gold shield instead of gold and black stripes, then 5th year we could wear white jumpers/sweatshirts, 6th form black skirt yellow blouse/shirt.

Still not allowed to wear trousers though !! :( :(

Guest coffee cup

Ex Wisewood Girls must remember playing Hocky up on the cadet playing fields in the freezing cold.

We weren't allowed to wear tracksuits, so we froze in those little blue games skirts, our legs were that cold the water from the showers we were made to have used to sting our legs.

To get out of these showers we used to use the excuse that we had a verruca, problem was everyone used the same excuse, and teachers got wise, so they had a handy supply of plastic bags, which we had to put on the infected foot ( or not infected foot in most cases)

:( :(

Student Nurse,

I am guessing you were in the same year as me at school. What form were you in ? What House were you in ?

I was in 1.2 2.2 3.2 then 4m, 5m then did a year in 6th form to re sit my chemistry.

Do you remember in the 4th year we changed ties to black with gold shield instead of gold and black stripes, then 5th year we could wear white jumpers/sweatshirts, 6th form black skirt yellow blouse/shirt.

Still not allowed to wear trousers though !! :(:(

cant remember which one was the red team :huh:

i think i was in 1.3, 2.3, 3.3, 4 (red) 5 (red) yes i remember the uniform strange i still wear a uniform now. :blink:

have been chatting to hubby and between us we came up with furnival (blue), loxley (green), mountney (red), wadsley (yellow) for the 4 houses. i was in mountney, he was in furnival.

Guest coffee cup

In the 1st year at school we were each given a ringbinder file, the colour you got depended on which house you were in. Also Girls had to buy aprons for Home Econonics, again the colour you got depended on which house you were in, finally our report books cover were also the colour of your house. As I too was in Mountney mine were all red, still got my school report book tucked away, together with the photos we had done in the 1st & 4th year (only school photos that we had done) Think it was a pity we didn't have class photos like they do now.

:)

i dont have any of mine unfortunately, i guess they didnt seem important things to save at the time :<_<

coffee cup.

have received an e mail to say you have sent me one but haven't received it for some reason will you send it again?? have e mailed admin about this and apparently there seems to be a few problems re moving server :(