Chartists And Fig Tree Lane

duckweed

The "Association Room" also known as "Chartist Room" was next door to the Fig Tree Tavern. The Tavern was run by Thomas Hardwick, at least between 1817 and 1820. By 1847 the Chartist Room had been incorporated into the Fig Tree Tavern by the new licensee Joseph Knapton.

but also (from Reminiscences of Old Sheffield):

Doesn't really help unless I have a street number. There are 2 buildings that could have been a Tavern with assembly rooms and there is also part of Fig Tree Lane that was lost due to changes in the road and the building of the Women's Lying Hospital.

Going through adverts 21 Figtree Lane is a Tailors, 23 is a house and warehouse, 19 Mr Scott surgeon, 13 is Girls school

A bit late for our purposes but ...

1864/5

Figtree Lane

16 Broadbent C E, solr, Jews Synagogue

19 Rees Thomas (j.)

21 Hastings W., draper

23 Nadin W., brush manufacturer

29 Haxworth J., surgeon

450-500 persons, has to be a considerable sized place; anyone with 1840's maps to chuck into the pot please ?

The "Association Room" also known as "Chartist Room" was next door to the Fig Tree Tavern. The Tavern was run by Thomas Hardwick, at least between 1817 and 1820. By 1847 the Chartist Room had been incorporated into the Fig Tree Tavern by the new licensee Joseph Knapton.

attachicon.gifFig Tree Tavern 1847.png

the only thing I have found is that George Cavill (Chartist) is mentioned as being Newsagent for Northern Star at 21 Fig Tree Lane on 5th April 1845. Could this be the number for the Chartist Association rooms? There is also a lawyer mentioned there at an earlier date.

Wherever these upper rooms were they were large as they could stage a grand ball there.

Cavill, George, News Agent & Temperance Hotel), 33 Queens Street (1852)

Just round the corner then ... ? Different entrance to one large building ... possibly..

the only thing I have found is that George Cavill (Chartist) is mentioned as being Newsagent for Northern Star at 21 Fig Tree Lane on 5th April 1845. Could this be the number for the Chartist Association rooms? There is also a lawyer mentioned there at an earlier date.

Wherever these upper rooms were they were large as they could stage a grand ball there.

There is also a Chartist Meeting mentioned as Reading Rooms 21 Fig Tree Lane. This would appear to be the house at the bottom of the Lane which is grade ll listed and said to be built around 1800. Above the door in the blue glass light it says Victoria Chambers. However the Lying in Hospital is also said to be Victoria Chambers (That is 14 Fig Tree Lane) In Wikapedia we have a photograph of the House at the bottom as Victoria Chambers but in the list of listed buildings it is the hospital so confusion there. If I am right we should have the House marked as the site of the Chartist Association Rooms, and it should be higher listing than grade ll as should the women's hospital there.

While I am at it can anyone find 33 Queen Street on any map? This was the site of the Temperance Hotel also associated with Chartists and especially the Female Political Society or Women's Rights Group.

Same man, same address 1849, Temperance Hotel.

1840's map anyone please ...

Cavill, George, News Agent & Temperance Hotel), 33 Queens Street (1852)

Just round the corner then ... ? Different entrance to one large building ... possibly..

Got to be a plea goes out for 1841 and 1851 Census images for Figtree Lane and Queen Street area ... please.

33 Queen Street was run by George Cavill in 1851. I am told that this address became a night club in the 1980s.

Also I have found there was once a Quaker Meeting House on Fig Tree Lane but they moved to Meeting House Lane. In 1847 the Jewish community bought up Rawleys school and opened a synagogue. One of the clergy for the cathedral was said to have lived in 14 Fig Tree Lane (where the hospital is) also architects Flockton and Son had an office in Fig Tree Lane in 1851.

I have checked my notes 33 Queen Street was the Romeo and Juliet night club in 1980s.

I am puzzled about 2 houses in Figtree lane both having the name Victoria Chambers on them. Not just on paper but actually in fact.

I have 4 separate newspaper articles that have Chartist meetings at 21 Fig Tree Lane.

I don't think it is as big as some accounts say because there is an account by a visiting Chartist who says the room is a little small and the ladies were overcome with the heat. He seems to suggest they were very crammed in rather than spacious.

I wonder where they got their source from? I don't actually know of a bloody battle at Fig Tree Lane. Several arrests made there at different times. Given the narrowness of the Lane not an easy place to have a pitched battle.

I know a bloody battle at Paradise Square.

One later newspaper article in the 1870s said that the Chartists met at a Meeting House.

There are several that imply the rooms were at 21. Maybe if we knew where the old Quaker Meeting House was might help? Or where the Figtree Tavern was? Whether top or bottom of lane would help.

EVERARD : Those offices were once of the school of the Rev. Matthew
Preston, when he lived in the house in Figtree lane, now the Hospital
for Women; and afterwards of Stephen Eversfield. Then on the other side
of Figtree lane, occupying the site of the synagogue of the Jews that
they have deserted recently (in 1872) in favour of a new one behind it
with a frontage to North Church street, was Mr. William Cowley's English
Grammar school.

JOHNSON : That room in the course of its existence has been put to very
various uses, for it was the meeting place of the Chartists.

Reminiscenses (Leader)

This out of copyright material has been transcribed by Eric Youle, who has provided the transcription on condition that any further copying and distribution of the transcription is allowed only for noncommercial purposes, and includes this statement in its entirety.

Any references to, or quotations from, this material should give credit to the original author(s) or editors.

Yes I believe there is a note that the reminiscences about Fig Tree lane were not quite right. In particular the address of the home of the Rev Preston is called into question.

The Women's Hospital is 14 and directly across is 13 which is I would say a more modern place than the other houses, which would make sense if that had been the synagogue.

All the side of the hospital whatever the houses were they were even numbers. Re George Cavill he was chair of the Chartists as well as other things.

Looking at Census record for 1841 and comparing with Trade Indexes no one seems to be a beer keeper.

John Hardwick is not there in 1841 nor is Knapton.

The Meeting House in Figtree Lane I think was in the part called Meetinghouse Lane. Meeting House didn't move as far as I can see.

Also 1841 census does not give street numbers.

Haxworth Surgeon moved from 11 -29.

Several lawyers had their offices there but didn't reside there so they show up in adverts but not census.

William Cowley the teacher does not appear to be there in the census but is in the Trades Directory (don't know why I had Rawley) However he is at 2 different addresses 9 and 13 different years.

The Hospital which is 14 became Victoria Chambers and was in the possession of Charles Clegg who was amongst other things the official receiver. He seems to have taken possession after it moved to Jessop and stayed there well into 20th century.

1881 there was a Hubert Smith at 10 Fig Lane (he was an accountant)

First one I can find on trade index 1849 and census record 1841 is 23 Fig Tree Lane which has Robinsons

Before 1849 from Trade indexes we have

No. 6 James Wilkinson plasterers

10 Currier n leather Cutters Alfred and Frederick Smith.

11 Stone Mason and Brickmakers Blackwell

13 School Mistress..also part of Synagogue?

14 Clergyman's House?

16 In 1864 Lawyers Office Broadbent.

17 Previously school and then Synagogue.

19 Surgeon David Scott.

21 Journeyman Dunkerly(sometimes lawyer's offices)

1845 George Cavill chairman of Chartists.

23 Thomas Robinson listed as cutler in 1841

29 Haxworth Surgeon (corner of Fig Tree Lane and Queen Street) formerly at different address on Fig Lane.

A lot of spaces.

Taken from a copy of the Northern Star 1843 (National Newspaper Archives)

Monday evening I addressed the men of Sheffield; found them as usual, firm, earnest, ardent and determined. There is no nonsense about Sheffield. They are men of the right sort. The Town Hall had been refused us, and the "lads" were compelled to put me in their own room, in Fig Tree-Lane. They have had it tastefully beautified since I was there. It is now a very handsome room; but rather wanting in size.