Robinson Family - Infirmary Road Area From 1881

Sandroulla

I am researching my family tree on my mother's side - her mother was Annie Robinson who's parents were Jonathan Robinson and Elizabeth Smith.

Jonathan's father was Thomas Robinson, originally from Birmingham and the licensee of the Don Inn on Penistone Road from at least 1881 and through 1891.

Most of the family worked in the cutlery industry in one way or another.

Annie had lots of siblings including Thomas, Caroline (Carrie), George, Mary, Edith, Alice & William - there could be more!

I am only just beginning but would be interested in hearing from any other Robinsons who think they may be related!

I don't have any married names for the other sisters but Thomas married Abegail Howlett and had a son called Herbert

Carrie didn't marry as far as I am aware but had 4 children (all took the name Robinson) - Gladys, John (known as Jack), Mabel & Leonard

I know Gladys married Morgan Gregory in 1920 but don't currently have further info on marriages etc.

The Don Inn was the venue for a lot of political meetings during the time that Thomas Robinson had it. There is also the possibility that he was a Druid:

Here is the notice of his death in 1891:

Just one baptism at http://www.sheffieldindexers.com :

Robinson, Caroline Archer (of Infirmary Rd, born ??).
Baptised April 6, 1881, by James Russell at St Philips Church, Shalesmoor.
Parents name(s) are Elizabeth & Jonathan (Labourer).

(The transcription of St Philip's baptisms only goes up to 1883.)

--

It seems that Thomas's father was another Jonathan (from the census I see that his mother was Caroline).

Grave H231, Wardsend Cemetery:

Just out of interest there was a Robinson family who lived just above the Don on Montgomery Terrace Road

in the late 1940s and early 50s. There maybe a connection but I only remember 1 name, that was Peter.

Thank you very much Hugh - I have traced the family back to Jonathan and Caroline, who originated from Birmingham, and I think I have all their offspring now, but I had no idea about the grave stone - thank you!