Mynah Bird. Moorfoot

mammybear

i seem to recall in the 60's or early 70's a mynah bird in a cage at the bottom of the moor. the time when the moor was open straight through to london rd. am i correct or is my memory playing tricks on me.

Stranger things have been

i seem to recall in the 60's or early 70's a mynah bird in a cage at the bottom of the moor. the time when the moor was open straight through to london rd. am i correct or is my memory playing tricks on me.

Just a guess but I have a vague memory of a mynah bird in a cage in the rebuilt Hermitage Inn at Moorfoot.

HD

Just a guess but I have a vague memory of a mynah bird in a cage in the rebuilt Hermitage Inn at Moorfoot.

HD

There is also that well known pet shop on Cumberland Street that used to have a wide range of caged birds upstairs. Sometimes that brought some down on nice days to get a bit of interest

An interesting bird is the Mynah bird (more specifically the Indian Hill Mynah Bird)

It is not a parrot as it has none of a parrots main features and more closely resembles a large blackbird or a crow.

However, its ability to accurately imitate the human voice and the speed with which it picks words up is better than most parrots. (The best parrots for doing this are the African Greys).

My Grandad had a Mynah bird called Mack and he soon developed a range of words, phrases and full sentences which he could drop out at the most well timed occasions to make him sound almost intelligent and as though he knew what he was saying. He could also imitate daft repetitive sounds like the doorbell, the telephone, the kettle boiling and the water in the rather noisy pipes, - and he could use these with comic effect too.

Unfortunately, Mynahs and talking parrots in public places are often abused by the general people they come across who try to deliberately teach them to swear and use rude language which again they do pick up very quickly, shame on them!!!

My grandmother (not the one married to my grandad, - my other grandmother) once looked after a mynah bird for a while for an old lady who lived alone and had recently died leaving the bird without a carer. The bird had learn't some choice words from the old woman, along with some very poignant phrases including "I'm dying" and "I'm not going to be around much longer"

One of the Public Houses in The Wicker used to have a Mynah Bird on the end of the bar it hardly

ever stop talking and used foul language, and of course some one complained and it got moved

from the bar..