Wadsley Bridge Cemetery

Guest Terezin

Guest Terezin

Making some progress now that I have scrounged up the copies of the photos I was sent in 1984. Also have a lot more family pushing up daffodils in Sheffield than I would ever have thought.

A handwritten note identifies the cemetery where my teenage uncle in buried as Wadsley Bridge.

Groves Walter Glenn 24 Sept 1917-27 Sept 1931.

I am also wondering if the circumstances of the accident he was in (on his 14th birthday) may have been reported in one of the papers.

Boy on bicycle collides with tram/truck/train sort of thing. I would like to put some facts to the vague stories that have been passed down.

Diddly is coming up with searches for this cemetery. Has it changed names? Could somebody point me in the way of some links?

Guest Terezin

Hmm.....I have just found two photocopies pages from the Wadsley Parish Magazine, August 1927 which contains

the baptism notice of my aunt.

I am wondering if Walter might be buried in the Wadsley churchyard - his name appears in the birth/death records

on Ancestry.com as Walter William.

There isn't a cemetery/graveyard at Wadsley Bridge. He would, almost certainly be buried at Wadsley Church (Wadsley Bridge and Wadsley were two separate villages in the same parish).

Guest Terezin

Courtesy update: My cousin emailed me in September 2013 and put me out of my mystery misery...

I have a poor quality photo of Walter sat up in his hospital bed with Millie by his side.
This will have been taken after the accident but before he contracted the fatal hospital infection a few days later.
Ronnie and Mildred are not in the photo so I don`t know if they visited him in hospital.
Walter Glenn was buried in grave no 346 section MP of St Philip`s Bural Ground, Wardsend, Sheffield in Sept 31 (cost of grave £3-0-0).
I have a very poor photo of the headstone taken at this time. My Mum and Dad went to look at the grave in the 1960s but messed up
taking a photo. We hav`nt been ourselves yet but the burial ground has been out of use for a long time and has probably been grassed over.

Guest darcy

Well if you ever get chance to Visit Wardsend Cemetery it will be a bit of an eye opener! It is very overgrown with trees and bushes and must be the strangest place in Sheffield.

If anyone is searching for ancestors buried in Wardsend Cemetery then the guys at 'Friends of Wardsend Cemetery' know almost everyone who is buried there and often the location of the grave (no mean feat if you know the place!). They are more than happy to help and have located graves for people all over the World.

http://www.friendsofwardsendcemetery.btck.co.uk/