Greetings & Salad Dressings From Down Under

Guest Terezin

Guest Terezin

I was thrilled to find this forum yesterday and hope to be able to get closer to solving a couple of family mysteries as well as share what memories I have gathered since 1982 about my enigmatic Sheffield-born and raised father and my paternal grandparents.

This story starts with my dad's mum, who was Mary Mildred Turner and the first woman railway porter for the Sheffield district and the third on the Great Central Railway. It was while working at Darnall Station that she met her husband, Groves William (Bill) Glenn, who was also porter there.

My dad was born at home at Owlergreave Street, Darnall in 1920 and I know that the family lived in the Stationmaster's house on Woodhouse Station in the 1920s/1930s then afterwards at Victor Street in Sheffield, before relocating to Dukinfield in Cheshire in the aftermath of a tragic event in 1931. I will need to glean through some correspondence to get a time-line on the chronology.

Also hoping to locate which cemetery in Sheffield my dad's 14-year-old brother was buried at in 1931 and maybe find out what happened to their mother, who in the absence of a paper-trail is thought to have perished in either the Sheffield or Liverpool Blitz.

I am Australian-born and never got to meet my father's people yet had been writing to my granddad and my dad's only sister and brother-in-law since 1970, when I was only 9 years old. That correspondence ended in 2008 when my aunt and uncle died and that's when I began shaking the Glenn-Turner family trees to see what conkers fell out.

Oodles!

The attached photo is Woodvale 322 Dutch Squadron July 1943 for the military history buffs.

Looking forward to exploring everything and hope I can contribute information that may be of use to somebody else.

Cheers

Welcome to the site Terezin. Hope to hear more from you.

I was thrilled to find this forum yesterday and hope to be able to get closer to solving a couple of family mysteries as well as share what memories I have gathered since 1982 about my enigmatic Sheffield-born and raised father and my paternal grandparents...

Hello there

You've probably got these but here they are anyway.

Woodhouse Station now

Google streetview

Woodhouse Station 1950's OS map No. 152

Victor Street 1950s OS map No. 239

Victor St now

Google streetview

Owlergreave Street, Darnall I can't find, but there was an Owlergreave Road, Darnall.

Edit: That's because Owlergreave Road was re-named Prince of Wales Rd. (I should have known that shouldn't I)

Guest Terezin

Thanks for the welcome RichardB and Vox.

I appreciate the maps and photos, Vox: I had not seen them before - except in my dreams. do..doo.do.doo...do..doo

I have a nice photo of my granddad taken in the garden at Woodhouse Station with an old-fashioned lamp post clear in the background. Will get these

photos sorted and scanned. The Sheffield chapter has been overlooked to a large degree because of the move to Dukinfield Cheshire and other

events in my dad's life.

My mistake it is Owlergreave Road - 185 Owler Greave Road - as it is written on the original certified copy of my dad's entry of birth in 1920.

lol Yeppers, that's the family tree that I have worked up and popped on Tribal Pages: My Family Up a Tree I do know that Mary changed her name by deedpoll

to Jepson and I have not been able to find her anywhere (or the chap). It's a sensitive connection and might not have lasted either. I have tracked her to Southport yet don't know whether the photo I have is pre- or post-1940. Mary had two married sisters who were said to be living in Sheffield at the time of their deaths. That information was supplied by somebody else and I still have to check it and make sure it is accurate regarding the names of the husbands and something about a chook farm in the 30s/40s.

I feel like I am looking for the omelette at the end of the rainbow! :rolleyes:

Australia's a big place. Can you narrow it down?

Sorry I don't know anything about this genealogy stuff, I'll leave that to the experts.

144e58, 37s49

Welcome to Sheffield History Terezin.

Nice to have someone with a little technical knowledge around

That sounds like the lattitude and longtitude of Melbourne to me.

...and I bet most of the cast and crew of "Neighbours" wouldn't know that! lol

Guest Terezin

Gawd, "Neighbours" ((((shudder))))

Thanks for the welcome, DaveH. I'm curious about your avitar picture. Is that an

actual monument/statue somewhere.

Guest Terezin

Hugh, not only can you add your welcome...I will fetch your slippers for providing that link

to Vulcan!

It's become very obvious to me that the overlooked Sheffield chapter in my family history is the

mything piece of the puzzle.

Curious and curiouser.

PS: So...where can I see a close-up of this statue. I want to check out his.....attributes.

Gawd, "Neighbours" ((((shudder))))

Thanks for the welcome, DaveH. I'm curious about your avitar picture. Is that an

actual monument/statue somewhere.

Yes it's the statue of Vulcan, the god of metal workers and a symbol of Sheffield

There are other topics on here about Vulcan if you want to know more.