The Negatives

Guest pete15

Guest pete15

They where a type of mod band around 1979-80 once played the record shop in the hole in the road on the ledge outside it!

Hundreds of mods turned up and also the police to move people on!

Did one single (I think) called Money Talk which was truly excellent, of which i have a signed copy in my vinyl collection!!

I bet that's worth a packet nowadays..

When you say on the ledge outside the record shop - which record shop do you mean ?

Guest pete15

I bet that's worth a packet nowadays..

When you say on the ledge outside the record shop - which record shop do you mean ?

when you walked down the ramp from the claymore into the hole in the road,there was a record shop on the right, think the lower ground entrance to yeb was next to it, the window was floor to ceiling with a wide ledge about a foot high, they set there gear up on here, when police arrived they argued that they where playing on the shops property and not in the actual subway! saw them a few times, think i saw them at the marples and the broadfield hotel on abbeydale road.

There are two tracks from the Negatives in the folder "va- new wave from the heart" the tracks are Metallic Thread Shirt and Do'nt Say Goodbye

you will find some other famous local bands on there as well

http://www.thestodge.co.uk/sheffieldbands

Just to say sorry but I have moved hosts for my site now and I am sorry no one could get the tracks

uploading them again

great band, i remember seeing them several times - once definitely at the old royal hotel on london road, the night was called 'the ritblat tube'. On that occasion, they were supported by a band called 'the ski jumps', who came on all dressed in ski-ing outfits: hats goggles, coats etc. as their set progressed, they took off the ski-wear, revealing themselves to be ... the negatives!

another time, i saw a mystery group called 'the viga teens' ... again, the negatives, playing under an anagram of their real name.

money talk/electric waltz made single of the week in one of the music papers - 'sounds' i think.

Guest rothertone

great band, i remember seeing them several times - once definitely at the old royal hotel on london road, the night was called 'the ritblat tube'. On that occasion, they were supported by a band called 'the ski jumps', who came on all dressed in ski-ing outfits: hats goggles, coats etc. as their set progressed, they took off the ski-wear, revealing themselves to be ... the negatives!

another time, i saw a mystery group called 'the viga teens' ... again, the negatives, playing under an anagram of their real name.

money talk/electric waltz made single of the week in one of the music papers - 'sounds' i think.

The Negatives are featured in the book 'OUR GENERATION: THE PUNK AND MOD CHILDREN OF SHEFFIELD, ROTHERHAM AND DONCASTER 1976 - 1985

You can buy it from the new official website at www.ourgenerationpunkandmod.co.uk or from Waterstones, WH Smith, HMV and Rare and Racy etc.

Theres lots of never previously seen photos of the era (Punks, Mods, New Romantics) in there.