What Do We Do After The World Ends Tomorrow ?

RichardB

and is it early or evening ... do I make plans for tea-time ?

If the apocalypse does not happen tomorrow don't worry

Its not the end of the world

and is it early or evening ... do I make plans for tea-time ?

I wouldn't worry about it too much Richard.

The crank sects that make these ridiculous claims have been wrong so many times before about the end of the world that I am suprised that anyone is stupid enough to believe them anymore.

Surely they must be suffereing from "the boy who cried wolf" syndrome by now.

do I make plans for tea-time ?

If you like listening to music on vinyl, only play singles, - don't bother with any of those long playing records

Less than an hour to go here . . . except, were talking Peru time, yes?

Which means we have to wait about 16 hours until the Mayan calendar (and the world) ends.

A bit like waiting for the end of the millenium, was it 2000 or 2001?

Everyone celebrated 2000 and then in 2001 they knocked down the twin towers.

11:11 GMT, disappointing, I was looking forward to it.

Clever thinking

Which means we have to wait about 16 hours until the Mayan calendar (and the world) ends.

Egg on face for the Mayan's then

They failed to predict their own demise didn't they. :unsure:

With respect to them though, they never associated it with "the end of the world", merely the end of a period of time which had some significance to them. Or so I understand.

They failed to predict their own demise didn't they. :unsure:

With respect to them though, they never associated it with "the end of the world", merely the end of a period of time which had some significance to them. Or so I understand.

Thanks Vox for that calm, educated insight. :) We are all quick to jump on the conspiracy/doomsday bandwagon, me included, without stopping to read the fine print.

So, they are just resetting their 5000 year calendar. Thats all. No sweat.

Sorry Thylacine.

Britannia ruled the waves so Britain waives the rules.

Everyone knows that ANY prediction of an exact timed event that affect the WHOLE WORLD (like the end of it!!) has to be done on GMT, not on any other time regardless of where in the world it is done or happens.

So if the end of the world happens today in GMT Britain, - Tasmania could have already gone yesterday due to the 10 hour time difference!

Still here!

There's a line in the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy that says: If the universe ends then it will probably be replaced by something else as bizzare. Some argue this has already happened several times!

Due to rain it's been put on hold.

End of the world cancelled due to bad weather!!! :blink:

Can't they get a sort of "pools panel" to sit and decide what should happen instead?

Still here!

There's a line in the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy that says: If the universe ends then it will probably be replaced by something else as bizzare. Some argue this has already happened several times!

Not just the world but the entire universe!!

Now, if after the Big Bang there is insufficient mass in the universe to allow gravity to pull it all back to a black hole singularity then the expanding universe will go on expanding indefinately and we are stuck with the one we have got.

However should the mass be greater (and the jury is out on how much mass, including dark matter, our universe actually has) then gravity will ultimately stop the Big Bang expansion and draw the universe back together ( the "Big Crunch"). As the universe collapses to a singularity a new Big Bang will take place, creating a new universe and starting the whole process all over again. This is the oscillating universe theory and it seems to be the idea behind the hitchhikers guide quote. Many scientists do believe this because it only requires the existing universe to have sufficient mass in it to happen.

At present our universe is expanding (red shifted spectra and all that). Now if it was collapsing and showing violet shifted spectra in distant galaxies then the end of the universe would be both inevitable and probably date predictable.