Please Sign This Petition

duckweed

You only have to look at city's with airports & even Doncaster to see that an airport is worth several million in income to the local economy. We have a drop of 20% in visitor spending where average in Yorkshire was up 11.8% and Doncaster up 8.9%. There is a lack of joined up thinking.

Now they want to destroy some more listed buildings to place the high speed railway in a place that is already a bottle neck for traffic. Will this railway help Sheffield? I doubt it. But even from their own logic if faster travelling helps Sheffield economy why close the airport? Cheaper to keep that than put in a new railway line.

Re city centre development beautiful listed buildings are being left to rot when there are sympathetic developers who could take them on. Because of the proposed development developers grabbed them in the hope that they would make a lot of money selling them to the developers. They had no intention of spending any money on them. Indeed they are probably hoping that they will go so far beyond repair they can demolish it by saying the structure is unsafe. My cynical side says that is what Sheffield Council is hoping for too. Otherwise why aren't they prosecuting and taking over these buildings? they have the power to do so.

Duckweed

Magnificent work.

Thank you.

I and others have been trying to stop Sheffield Council giving permission for Sheffield University to demolish a grade 2 listed building. The Council gave them permission on Monday.

http://www.facebook....djessophospital

Why is this important? If the demolition goes ahead it undermines listed status and allows demolition of our nations heritage. Please get as many people as you can to sign the petition below.

http://www.change.or....tal-building-2

I was passing comment on the effort that went in to trying to save the place.

To late its being demolished now.

I think on the positive side of this campaign is that people have realised that even if a building is listed as of National importance does not mean an organisation with a smart lawyer can't knock it down. There are several other buildings in Sheffield at risk of being demolished for re-development. The strange thing re Jessop is the campaigners won the legal argument but lost the judgement.

Much of Sheffield's heritage is the history of the common person and as such does not have the National impact of some aristocratic stately home being neglected. Portland Works is evidence of what can be done as is Shepherd Wheel. We can't rely on the government local or national to protect our heritage. They don't see why it is important.

With regard to our lovely old buildings, I went past the Earl of Arundel and Surrey yesterday and they have ripped out period sash windows and put white double glazed units in what was the down stairs bars, they did the upstairs rooms a few weeks ago, on getting home I rang the Town Hall department dealing with listed buildings and voice my concerns, a very pleasant man on the other end of the phone put it up on his computer and looked at the planning application, after a minute or so talking to himself, he said "I don't believe it" and he went on to tell me that the Earl was being converted into five flats and there was no restraints on any alterations to the building this included the windows, even he said they should have been left and a glazed unit could have been fitted inside the building leaving the sash windows in place. Just how can the faceless wonders o.k. planning applications such as this, the Earl just looks stupid with the white units installed. Watch out the General Post Office, the Old Town hall and the Gas Offices.

I fear for the Old Town Hall most of all, isn't the post Office up for redevelopment ?

Pictures of the Earl appreciated if anyone is passing.

Yes thats true, I just hope some of the original internal features are retained and the whole of the outside is just cleaned and where needed repairs made especially the roof.

Fire Escape needs glueing back on ...

Yes thats true, I just hope some of the original internal features are retained and the whole of the outside is just cleaned and where needed repairs made especially the roof.

The Earl (of Arundel and Surrey) with plastic windows.

I wonder why they decided to get rid of the old gilt signs last time it was worked on. They were quite attractive I thought.

And for that matter, why change the name.

attachicon.gifEarl of Arundel (1).jpg

I wonder why they decided to get rid of the old gilt signs last time it was worked on. They were quite attractive I thought.

It is not a pub anymore

The name was changed a few years ago to try and boost its trade, the fantastic internal features were ripped out but it was to late it was already in its death throws, I do believe the written history and the portrait that was on the outside was taken down for either siting inside, re-siting outside or being sold on.

Harrington Road

It is not a pub anymore

Harrington Road

attachicon.gifearl o a.jpg

I noticed today on the way home that its being converted into a cycle shop, called Giant Cycles, think it may be something to do with JE James

I noticed today on the way home that its being converted into a cycle shop, called Giant Cycles, think it may be something to do with JE James

I would say it is ....

It still bears the resemblance of the old Earl with the name over the door and such.