Please Sign This Petition

duckweed

There is over 3'000 signatures on the petition. I don't know when the petition is to be closed and sent. Anyone know?

I know there was more time because Council had failed to consult with everybody. Not that that changed their decision in spite of everyone saying the same thing.

I think given the usual apathy re council elections 3'000 people feeling passionate about preserving this building really should be taken seriously both by Pickles and by Council. These are the people that keep them in power, not the University.

Important to keep going, let 'em know people care.Doesn't matter if a decision has been made or even if the place has been demolished - it's wrong on all levels.

Total is now 3,112. That is over 100 signatures in 12 hours.

Present numbers 3,827. Unsure why a sudden influx in last 2 days. If anyone knows why, can they get it to happen again please?

I have today received an email update, which I quote in full, below:-

AND FOR WHICH, OUR FURTHER ACTION AND SUPPORT IS REQUESTED.

Update about 'Rt Hon Eric Pickles, Secretary of State: Save Sheffield's Grade II Listed Edwardian Jessop Hospital building' on Change.org

Update: campaign to save Grade II Listed Edwardian Jessop Hospital building'

Dear Friends

Shortly after the end of this month, SoS Eric Pickles will decide whether to call this application in or rubber stamp. There is no longer any doubt that Sheffield City Council have failed to apply national and local planning laws correctly. There is a trail of evidence that their own planning officers were in fact quite opposed to these plans, and yet the application has been pushed through.

Whilst our case is very strong, without the support of MPs and VIPs our position is compromised. As early as last April, months before the planning application was submitted, Sheffield's Labour MPs had got behind the University's plans. This before they could have had sufficient opportunity to learn of the fundamental flaws in the application.

We desperately need MPs to stand up and present our case to Eric Pickles. Nick Clegg has so far not committed and we are now asking any of you that do NOT live in Sheffield to ask your own MPs, as a matter of urgency, if they are able to raise concerns about this application to Eric Pickles.

You can find your own MP here: http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email

Please point them in the direction of our website
www.jessophospital.org.uk

If anyone gets a supportive response, or even willingness to pass the case on to another MP who may support, please would you get in touch, as a matter of urgency: nickroscoe1@gmail.com.

Thanks to everyone for their support. We are just under the 4000 signature mark! Please find us on Facebook and Twitter and like, share and RT away - and let's see us zoom past 4000 signatures We'll be sending the petition in at the end of this week.

www.facebook.com/oldjessophospital
@jessophospital on Twitter

From all of us involved behind the scenes, Thanks!

Nick

This petition is not only important because it is Jessop Hospital (and that is far more important than its grade ll listing) but because grade ll status is being ignored by councils throughout England. It is the council's duty to protect listed buildings. The government is looking at listed status and the present law. It is up to us to show that buildings are listed because they matter.

This has now made the Nooks and Corners column in the latest Private Eye. Quite a good accurate write-up, but doesn't hold out much hope I'm afraid.

Apparently Private Eye has mentioned Jessop. As I said this is a National problem. Apparently there is the is a so called expert who is going round finding developers ways of getting round the listed status.

This has now made the Nooks and Corners column in the latest Private Eye. Quite a good accurate write-up, but doesn't hold out much hope I'm afraid.

Apparently Private Eye has mentioned Jessop. As I said this is a National problem. Apparently there is the is a so called expert who is going round finding developers ways of getting round the listed status.

Quote from the article;

"These days, those who seem to believe that they should have the absolute right to do what they want, regardless of the effect on historic buildings or landscapes, are very likely to be academic institutions which ought to know better if they still have any pretention to be civilised." (Though this is referring to a development by Oxford University, if the cap fits...)

I have just been told that the battle for Jessop has been lost. This not only means the demolition of a listed building goes ahead for no good reason but the whole neighbourhoods character will be destroyed. I'm afraid this proves once again that the views of the ordinary people count for nought whatever the political persuasion. Soon the castle ruins will be uncovered (they too are grade ll listed) It is important that the archaeology there is not damaged as this is the birthplace of Sheffield. Please join Friends of Sheffield Castle to help protect it from a mindless rush for so called improvements. If these ruins go so does centuries of Sheffield's history. http://www.friendsofsheffieldcastle.org.uk/ or

http://www.facebook.com/friendsofsheffieldcastle or come along to the Queens Head tomorrow at 12.30 and talk to people like Ron Clayton about Tudor Sheffield and Sheffield Castle.

Ask your councillor their opinion of listed status and if they can't say categorically they will protect it don't vote for them.

I've always thought that if they do as promised and open up the castle ruins and make an open space, the old Town Hall would make a fabulous visitors centre showing the development of the city from its beginnings to the present.

I have found that all a developer needs to do is wave the magic flag of "How many jobs it will create". Nobody ever audits just how many jobs are actually created( not just transferred) and no politician will usually stand up and say "NO"....If he/she did they are then accused of losing jobs. SCC and SCU used the jobs argument and the pressing need to build world class facilities! My argument is that these facilities didn't need to be contained within a futuristic nightmare of a building!

I have never got used to the monstrosity which replaced the old Gaumont!

Bayleaf, on 27 Mar 2013 - 10:18, said:

I've always thought that if they do as promised and open up the castle ruins and make an open space, the old Town Hall would make a fabulous visitors centre showing the development of the city from its beginnings to the present.

Bayleaf, on 27 Mar 2013 - 10:18, said:

I agree. I have had conversations with Councillors and MS who would love to develop the Town Hall as a museum/gallery. There is a need for more places to draw in visitors. Even people who come shopping like other things too.

There is at present a lack of any strategy re visitors. Sheffield brings in a large number of people re conferences who don't spend much money. The way they would part with their money is to show them Sheffield's heritage. There is no linkup between the conference organisers and heritage places that could do entertain them, or take them on a city tour. I know there is a demand for it from conference delegates as I have had enquiries from some of them asking what was available.

Sheffield's present income from visitors is about less than half of Leeds. Leeds doesn't have as many historic sites as Sheffield. Manchester has an income of £11 billion a year. There is a huge untapped resource which would bring jobs and money into the city.

If we had the old Town Hall as a museum/gallery we could find room for all the artefacts and paintings that are at present in a warehouse. We could also keep one of the courtrooms and link it in with the police/fire museum.

I am confused...One day there is an injunction and then there isn't!

One day there's a university and the next day - there's a university.

Looking at today's Star I see there should be no confusion at all. The judge made the same remark about "leaving it too long" as was made to campaigners trying to obtain a judicial review over our ill-fated City Airport. The lesson must be, have the cash ready before attempting the legal process as you 'aint got long to appeal. So much for British justice!

http://www.jessophospital.org.uk/the-jessop-fighting-fund/

Please help the Victorian society both recoup the costs they have been given to pay and also to take it to a higher court. This is really a landmark case. It is important for listed buildings not just in Sheffield but throughout England. The present planning policy has created a loophole that any wealthy developer can use. It could result in the death of much of our heritage.

I post herewith and in full, a copy of an email that I received today.

Update about 'Rt Hon Eric Pickles, Secretary of State: Save Sheffield's Grade II Listed Edwardian Jessop Hospital building'

Dear Supporters,

Last week SAVE Britain's Heritage and The Victorian Society took our cause to the High Court in London. SAVE first stepped in when Eric Pickles decided not to call in the application to demolish Jessops Edwardian building. Last week looked like an opportunity for some positive news but disappointingly the request for a judicial review was turned down.

We have one last chance now. We want, and need, to take last week's decision to the Court of Appeal. However last week cost these two voluntary organisations £10,000 on costs to the other side. They cannot afford those losses again for legal fees. (Their legal team are doing this on a 'no win, no fee' basis but if they lose they have to pay costs.)

Almost 5000 of you signed the petition.. Between us, can we make this happen and take Sheffield Council back to court?

Just a very small donation or pledge- just a pound - from most of you, would do it. Hallamshire Historic Buildings Society have pledged £1000 to get the ball rolling, We need to act quickly though as the building is now only protected until 4th July.

Please take part and forward this message to anyone you think might support this. You can donate here:

http://www.jessophospital.org.uk/contact-us/jessop-fighting-fund/

With pledges we would only ask for funds from you later once sufficient funds were raised/promised and then needed for for this to go safely to appeal. Please email pledges to pledge@jessophospital.org.uk (please state our name and the amount you are pledging)

This isn't just about Jessops, steeped in history and much-loved as it is. The shameful misapplication of planning laws here will place listed buildings up and down the country at the mercy of aggressive developers such as Sheffield University, pushing at local councillors with uncompromising plans offering wholly economic "public benefits" to justify the trashing of our heritage.

We'll email back with regular updates over the next few days. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes, Nick Roscoe,
On behalf of the local campaign to SAVE Jessops Hospital

This message was sent by Nicholas Roscoe using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Nicholas Roscoe on Change.org: "Rt Hon Eric Pickles, Secretary of State: Save Sheffield's Grade II Listed Edwardian Jessop Hospital building." Change.org does not endorse contents of this message.

£20 in the pot from me.

I post herewith and in full, a copy of an email that I received today.

Update about 'Rt Hon Eric Pickles, Secretary of State: Save Sheffield's Grade II Listed Edwardian Jessop Hospital building'

Dear Supporters,

Last week SAVE Britain's Heritage and The Victorian Society took our cause to the High Court in London. SAVE first stepped in when Eric Pickles decided not to call in the application to demolish Jessops Edwardian building. Last week looked like an opportunity for some positive news but disappointingly the request for a judicial review was turned down.

We have one last chance now. We want, and need, to take last week's decision to the Court of Appeal. However last week cost these two voluntary organisations £10,000 on costs to the other side. They cannot afford those losses again for legal fees. (Their legal team are doing this on a 'no win, no fee' basis but if they lose they have to pay costs.)

Almost 5000 of you signed the petition.. Between us, can we make this happen and take Sheffield Council back to court?

Just a very small donation or pledge- just a pound - from most of you, would do it. Hallamshire Historic Buildings Society have pledged £1000 to get the ball rolling, We need to act quickly though as the building is now only protected until 4th July.

Please take part and forward this message to anyone you think might support this. You can donate here:

http://www.jessophospital.org.uk/contact-us/jessop-fighting-fund/

With pledges we would only ask for funds from you later once sufficient funds were raised/promised and then needed for for this to go safely to appeal. Please email pledges topledge@jessophospital.org.uk(please state our name and the amount you are pledging)

This isn't just about Jessops, steeped in history and much-loved as it is. The shameful misapplication of planning laws here will place listed buildings up and down the country at the mercy of aggressive developers such as Sheffield University, pushing at local councillors with uncompromising plans offering wholly economic "public benefits" to justify the trashing of our heritage.

We'll email back with regular updates over the next few days. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes, Nick Roscoe,
On behalf of the local campaign to SAVE Jessops Hospital

This message was sent by Nicholas Roscoe using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Nicholas Roscoe on Change.org: "Rt Hon Eric Pickles, Secretary of State: Save Sheffield's Grade II Listed Edwardian Jessop Hospital building." Change.org does not endorse contents of this message.

I post herewith and in full, a copy of a further email that I received today.
Dear Supporters

We're at £2444 for the Jessop Fighting Fund - It seems to be working!

Thanks so much to all who have pledged and donated, proper acknowledgements will be sent soon - it's been hard keeping up. Let's hope the pledges and donations can continue to come in at this rate.

If you want to tell your friends about what has been happening, there's the campaign website:www.jessophouse.org.uk, but the following article is a very good summary of all that is wrong with this scheme:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2013/mar/31/jessop-hospital-sheffield-planning-controversy

Best wishes

Nick, on behalf of the local campaign