Please Sign This Petition

duckweed

I was looking around Portobello area today it is amazing how much property belongs to the University there and whole swathes of older buildings disappeared. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. But the obvious thing is that the new building will even spoil the view of their own Edwardian buildings.

I remember being in Durham where much of the site is grade 1 listed and seeing a brand new student hall which was so beautifully blended in you could hardly tell. I bet Oxford and Cambridge aren't planning to knock their listed buildings down and claiming they need to go in the name of progress.

Its over 2 thousand now but we still need more. There will be a lot of people upset if this building goes as is obvious from the petition.

I have today received an email update, which I quote in full, below:-

Update about 'Rt Hon Eric Pickles, Secretary of State: Save Sheffield's Grade II Listed Edwardian Jessop Hospital building' on Change.org

Dear Friends

Firstly, thank you so much for signing the petition.

We have a news update - last week we were given access to the planning files (public domain) which contained internal correspondence about the proposals. What we saw left us speechless as it seems the vast majority of planning officers consulted opposed these plans too, on just the same grounds as we have been doing - not only because of the demolition but because the proposed design of the new engineering building was so poor. So there we have it - final confirmation that, irrespective of good design, if the economic benefits are big enough then our heritage is up for sale to be trashed by the highest bidder.

There is a poster on the Facebook page which has some quotes.

Over 2000 signatures now... we have just a couple of days left now before we submit the figures, of course we'll keep it running in case the Secretary of State does call it in, but if you can do your bit to tell your friends about this sham and haven't already, now is the time!

If you 'do' Facebook or Twitter you can share/retweet this latest news to your friends and follower - and please follow us too!

http://www.facebook.com/oldjessophospital

@jessophospital

Please see the website for background info, photos and to ready what the experts have said about these plans.

http://www.jessophospital.org.uk

We'll be in touch soon..

Thank you!

All behind the Campaign to Save Sheffield's Edwardian Jessop Hospital building

Thank you for the update.

Please keep signing Folks.

I have today received an email update, which I quote in full, below:-

Update about 'Rt Hon Eric Pickles, Secretary of State: Save Sheffield's Grade II Listed Edwardian Jessop Hospital building' on Change.org

Dear Friends

Firstly, thank you so much for signing the petition.

We have a news update - last week we were given access to the planning files (public domain) which contained internal correspondence about the proposals. What we saw left us speechless as it seems the vast majority of planning officers consulted opposed these plans too, on just the same grounds as we have been doing - not only because of the demolition but because the proposed design of the new engineering building was so poor. So there we have it - final confirmation that, irrespective of good design, if the economic benefits are big enough then our heritage is up for sale to be trashed by the highest bidder.

There is a poster on the Facebook page which has some quotes.

Over 2000 signatures now... we have just a couple of days left now before we submit the figures, of course we'll keep it running in case the Secretary of State does call it in, but if you can do your bit to tell your friends about this sham and haven't already, now is the time!

If you 'do' Facebook or Twitter you can share/retweet this latest news to your friends and follower - and please follow us too!

http://www.facebook.com/oldjessophospital

@jessophospital

Please see the website for background info, photos and to ready what the experts have said about these plans.

http://www.jessophospital.org.uk

We'll be in touch soon..

Thank you!

All behind the Campaign to Save Sheffield's Edwardian Jessop Hospital building

It is strange that in the Forum someone has said why should demolition be halted by a mere 2 thousand people. I don't see over 2 thousand as a small number. Pity we couldn't have a rally to show just how many people that is. But even if there weren't that number, the arguments against demolition are so strong based on the objections of Sheffield Councils own planners that logically it shouldn't have been passed in the first place.

You can bet that if I had a house that was grade ll listed and wanted to demolish it to build a bigger house the planning committee would have thrown it out without question.

Not sure when the petition ends. Got the impression that it was due to close very soon from facebook site. Any one know what the deadline is?

Not sure when the petition ends. Got the impression that it was due to close very soon from facebook site. Any one know what the deadline is?

No new posts showing - assume ended.

From the Facebook page, posted 12 hours ago.

"Interesting news folks - it's a guessing game knowing when to submit petition signatures to the Govt. We'd thought today (or yesterday), but a phone call today confirms we've still got a few more days left. Anyway you're probably all sick of the 'pls share', pls like sign the petition etc stuff now! So here's a little interlude, without any please do this or thats! : ) (sorry if you've already seen it!)"

Apparently Sheffield Council haven't submitted their defence of their decision yet as they hadn't got the right paperwork. How do you defend the indefensible? If we could rally a few more signatures for this I really think we could nail this one for sure. Anyone know a way of collecting a few more to make it up to the 3 thousand? We have 2,450 at moment.

Ask Neil (Admin) to give this subject some exposure on Owlstalk, at least a lot more people would be made aware ...

Apparently Sheffield Council haven't submitted their defence of their decision yet as they hadn't got the right paperwork. How do you defend the indefensible? If we could rally a few more signatures for this I really think we could nail this one for sure. Anyone know a way of collecting a few more to make it up to the 3 thousand? We have 2,450 at moment.

Why can't they just rip out all the inners and modernise the inside then clean up the shell

problem solved.

This is what most other cities do, that is why their old buildings are still standing.

Basically someone wanted to make a statement. That's what Sheffield University has said. It has some very fine eco-friendly features. Sheffield University has made a statement alright but probably not the one they had in mind. They are saying they are only pretending to be eco-friendly because knocking down a listed building can not be described as environmentally friendly for so many reasons.

Generally I think that the University lacks cohesion re its development plans. There is a mish mash of buildings that have been put up without much thought as to the area they are in. The Black cube is a case in point. It looks like it was dropped in from a great height as there is no real symmetry around it. If it had had a frontage or a courtyard round it, it would have looked better than almost touching old buildings. There are good ways and bad ways of putting old and new buildings together but the more recent buildings of the University seem to lack any sense of the aesthetic.

I was born in Jessop Hostpital in 1936 although I have been away from England a log time I never foget were my roots lie,

I suspect that this modern A- - - - - - N h as been designed by a group of people that were borne in plastic bags,SIGN ME IN

Use the link in my signature below to sign the petition. :rolleyes:

I was born in Jessop Hostpital in 1936 although I have been away from England a log time I never foget were my roots lie,

I suspect that this modern A- - - - - - N h as been designed by a group of people that were borne in plastic bags,SIGN ME IN

I'm afraid it's yet another example of the bunnies (councillors) being transfixed by the headlights (big business, the Uni, in fact just about anyone with cash.

Cf Sevenstone, Park Hill, IKEA, Next, etc etc )

If only that was true. There isn't any extra money for the city because of the new engineering block. There isn't even any extra jobs. The University is expanding but not as a result of putting up new flashy buildings.

I have spoke to someone who works for Sheffield University and have been told by that person that the new building will actually result in shedding jobs when they re-organize the department.

My question has always been what did the planning committee think would be the consequence of refusing the planning consent? The department would not close down. The University would not pack up and go to Newcastle so what jobs would be lost, what money would be lost? All that would happen would be that the University would go back to their original plans which included keeping the Edwardian wing.

That is why we have a planning committee. To stop badly designed buildings being built and to keep the environment pleasant for everyone. Doesn't matter whether you are building an extension to your House or an office block. Same rules should apply regardless of who is applying.