Please Sign This Petition

duckweed

Signed it and more than pleased to do so.

Sheffield has so few historic buildings that are worthy of note and this city has all too frequently treated those that it does possess with a callous and an indifferent regard.

This nonesense must be stopped.

RANT OVER

But, it has put me in a bad mood for Christmas.

With just a little notice we could organize a get together and roast a whole lot of chestnuts at the accidental fire than often visits situations like this ... probably.

... But, it has put me in a bad mood for Christmas.

Just look at the people who have signed the petition, from Hungary, Canada, Australia, USA. All united. Doesn't that give you a warm feeling?

Just look at the people who have signed the petition, from Hungary, Canada, Australia, USA. All united. Doesn't that give you a warm feeling?

Great news. On Monday, I intend to press gang my fellow workers into this.

However, seeing those self-styled "academic" philistines that run the University and those equally self styled, attention seeking, gut less "representatives" of the rate paying populace of this city roasting on a fire would warm me a whole lot more.

Further rant now over.

The other thing to remember is that this so called Edwardian wing was started before Victoria died and built by the same architect to the same specifications so not exactly an inferior copy that many would have you believe. If Victoria had lived a few months longer it would have not been listed as Edwardian.

In Sheffield, taken some photos of Jessop Edwardian wing, scowled at some Security bloke, carried on with photos. To be posted a little later, doing Christmas with Sis and family.

In Sheffield, taken some photos of Jessop Edwardian wing, scowled at some Security bloke, carried on with photos. To be posted a little later, doing Christmas with Sis and family.

Now a bloke with a camera would look very, very suspicious walking around a hospital maternity unit

Former hospital maternty unit.

Now a bloke with a camera would look very, very suspicious walking around a hospital maternity unit

Just leave it alone, repair what needs to be repaired, or better still use the avaiable skills to incorporate it, or build eslewhere ...

One floor higher, or build it wider/longerer/eslewhere; if Cosira can build underground in Salisbury in the 70's so as not to obstruct the Cathedral then surely Sheffield University can work around a tiny project like this ... ?

The bit that puzzles me is how they say that the "Edwardian wing" is inferior. It looks pretty similar to me. Also they built a new extension in about 1886 just 8 years after they opened so this may indeed be a Victorian Wing really.

The bit that puzzles me is how they say that the "Edwardian wing" is inferior. It looks pretty similar to me. Also they built a new extension in about 1886 just 8 years after they opened so this may indeed be a Victorian Wing really.

According to Pevsner the 'new' bit was opened in 1902, the year after Victoria's death, so presumably that's why it's classed as Edwardian.

Both parts were designed by the same Sheffield architect, J.D. Webster,which may well account for the similarity in appearance.

According to Pevsner the 'new' bit was opened in 1902, the year after Victoria's death, so presumably that's why it's classed as Edwardian.

Both parts were designed by the same Sheffield architect, J.D. Webster,which may well account for the similarity in appearance.

I know there is quoted frequently a completion date of 1902 but there was also an extension built around 1886 so could Pevsner be in fact incorrect and the bit completed in 1902 was just a small alteration to an already existent wing?

See http://www.historic-...t_projects.html

A notable finding was that, despite the ‘archaeological’ survey of the building, in which it appeared that there were two different buildings (1889 and 1902), the phasing suggested by the RCHME was inaccurate - and that both buildings were part of the same design. A much fuller understanding of the role of local architect John Dodsley Webster in the development of Sheffield’s health care fabric was an additional benefit of the project.