Air Training Band At Craddock Road School C1944

History dude

I believe the following photo was taken around 1944.

It shows the Air Training Corps Band playing on the fields at Craddock Road School.

My mum thinks that "Johnny" Atkinson is playing the the big drum. He was the brother of Irene Atkinson a friend of my mum, before she was married.

I believe the following photo was taken around 1944.

It shows the Air Training Corps Band playing on the fields at Craddock Road School.

My mum thinks that "Johnny" Atkinson is playing the the big drum. He was the brother of Irene Atkinson a friend of my mum, before she was married.

It is indeed, as you call it history dude, "Cradock Road School".

I understand that as a former student of our old rival school, Hurlfield that you are perhaps reluctant to call it "Norfolk School" which is what it is.

Those lower windows which sink below ground level give away the exact location as being in the upper (or secondary) school "quadrangle" (which was actually an octagon), the lower windows being very high windows on the lower corridor where the woodwork / metalwork / cookery / housecraft rooms were.

The "quadrangle" itself was a grassed area as shown, originally empty (as it probably was, and seems to be in your 1944 picture) it later contained another large room which was used, until 1966, as the school hall (the original school hall then becoming the school library). After 1966 when the new extension was built with a purpose made school hall the room in the quad became a large art room, - which is what it was while I was there.

Nice photo of the old school dude, - and being used for a rather different, interesting purpose. Thanks for posting this little gem.

Craddock Road was on the back of the photo, nothing to do with my school of later years.

Norfolk secondary school had several entrances, some were on Cradock Road and some were on Brimmersfield Road. All the junior school entrances were on Brimmersfield and all the infant and nursery school ones on Cradock.

Given the view and knowing exactly where it is the info on the back of the photo is perfectly correct, - the nearesr entrance into Norfolk School, to get to the photo location would be the top Cradock Road entrance.