Harrison's Survey Of The Manor Of Sheffield 1637

Stuart0742

Pity that I'm a bit set in my ways as an armchair geneologist, one day I will have to spend I few days there chasing all the dead ends....one day although keep saying that about all the other jobs at home I havn't finished yet

Pity that I'm a bit set in my ways as an armchair geneologist, one day I will have to spend I few days there chasing all the dead ends....one day although keep saying that about all the other jobs at home I havn't finished yet

Well we can't have that. So just a few pages from Shearstone's book showing them for you!

now I am confused I have a James(born 1781) who's Father I think was a John Skelton

In the awards I see a James Skelton who was a proprietor with a tennant named John Skelton

And a proprietor named John Skelton who was also a tennant on the same land

20 years later a James Skelton (who would have been about 50 at the time if he is mine)leaves a farm in Charnock Hall area selling his goods.

Do any of the above awards tie in with the Charnock Hall area?

Beginning to wish i'd stopped at me mam born in 1918 and still going strong lol

Just to confuse even more I have a picture of the graves of Joseph Skelton who died aged 82 in 1850. Plus his wife Mary 1845 aged 67.

Also a James Skelton of Intake who died 1873 aged 47.

Another Joseph who died 1922 age 76. His Son Joseph 1876 1 year 7 months.

All the above are gravestones at Gleadless Christ Church.

PM if you want me to e-mail the copies of them.

If we throw enough Skeltons in a pattern should form...may assist in eliminating those not of interest. Here are the Skeltons from the Christ Chuch burial records:

Forename Surname Death Aged Abode
Annie Elizabeth SKELTON 12 Jan 1910 59 Gleadless, Gladstone Rd
Elizabeth SKELTON 7 Jan 1871 74 Gleadless
Harry SKELTON 6 Mar 1894 2m Hollins End
James SKELTON 7 Jan 1844 64 Hollins End
James SKELTON 10 Dec 1873 47 Intake
John SKELTON 26 May 1852 inf Common Side
John SKELTON 17 Feb 1868 55 Gleadless
Joseph SKELTON 18 Apr 1850 83 Mosborough
Joseph SKELTON 9 Jan 1876 1 Gleadless
Joseph SKELTON 10 Jan 1875 69 Gleadless Common
Joseph SKELTON 28 Sep 1922 76 Gleadless, 15 Gladston
Marintha SKELTON 16 Mar 1874 1+ Hollins End
Mary SKELTON 25 Feb 1845 64 Gleadless
Mary SKELTON 27 Jun 1852 37 Common Side
Sarah SKELTON 19 Oct 1867 84 Gleadless
Sarah Elizabeth SKELTON 13 Sep 1859 8m Hollins End
Thomas SKELTON 19 Jun 1860 62 Woodhouse
Thomas SKELTON 12 Feb 1878 27 John St
William James SKELTON 13 Sep 1889 29 Hollins End

In December 1842 James Vaughan was an employee of James Skelton of Hollins End (Vaughan was subject to an attempted break in)

Ok where I am so far

James Skelton who died in Dec 1873 Was my Gt Gt Grandfather he ran the Woodthorpe Arms and a Farm with his wife Eliza. (She re-married a John Cook but is burried with James at Gleadless) and have a considerable amount of info on him.

His father was also James born in 1781 Married to Sarah (Booker) The had, as far as I have researched six surviving children :

John SKELTON Hollins End

Elizabeth SKELTON Hollins End

Ellen SKELTON Hollins End

Hannah SKELTON Hollins End

James SKELTON Hollins End

Sophia SKELTON Hollins End

James Snr is where my search has slowed The nearest christening in Handsworth is:

SKELTON James John 26/12/1779 Weaver Commonside

James record shows no mother but I am assuming that these two are one and the same

SKELTON William John Mary 16/04/1784 Weaver Commonside

There are a few older Chistenings in Handsworth

SKELTON Charles John Esther 24/06/1792 29/05/1792 Commonside

SKELTON Joseph John 13/06/1773 Woodthorpe Common

SKELTON Elizabeth Nicholas 01/05/1614

Nicholas wife Elizabeth burial is recorded in 1612 so he must have remarried but unless he had other children his Skelton line would have ended.

With the name showing up only a few times in Harrisons survey I was hoping to find a link between them in the area.

Would the Sheffield Park come under a different parish or are there any other very local parishes that I need to search?

I wasn't able to trace the Elizabeth Skelton of Harrison's Survey in any other records. If she died during the Civil War Period, then that caused a lot of disruption to Parish records, so might not have been entered. Since the only churches built inside Sheffield Park that took burials are St John's and St Mary's, most people that lived in it are buried elsewhere. The main one being the Cathedral. Most of the ex-park was converted to farms, the only place where people settled was near the town at Park Hill. So there wasn't a great need for burial ground for Sheffield Park people around 1800.

The one christened from Woodthorpe Common, isn't where most people think it would be. But is where Hunter's Lane joins Richmond Road.

I photographed some of the houses back in the 1980's.

PS the boy on the bike thought I was a burglar! he he

Just found the front view of those houses. Taken another day when the weather wasn't so bright (picture restored to make it less dark).

damned civil war.... checking my records Nicolas gets married again in handsworth in 1613 but there is still a big gap with the Skelton's until James birth in 1779 his marriage 1811 and the baptism of his children starting in 1813 and the new addditions of a John and Mary in the records.

The civil war didn't last thet long when did records restart or do i need to look elsewhere? to link the periods

I have another survey for Sheffield Park done in 1685. But I can confirm that there's no mention of Skelton's in that.

Some of the Parish Registers for Sheffield Cathedral are on the internet archive. However they seem to cut off before 1637. Nevertheless there are Skelton's in them. The later ones should provide any missing information. Sheffield indexers also has a long list of Skelton's, though it has incomplete records for that church.

The Civil War effect would run from 1640 to about 1650, but how much they affected the Sheffield Churches I do not know.