"the Canada, Winter Street/ Summer Street Area

Guest plain talker

Guest plain talker

My grandmother spoke of my grandpa and his family having come "off 'T'Canada" near the back of Winter Street Hospital (St George's Hospital, opposite the University Arts Tower)

I've been scouring and scouring the maps to find where this part of Netherthorpe was, and have finally discovered that it is the road on Map 275 (on the wonderful map thread) called Blythe Street, which ran between Mushroom Lane and Bromley Street.

It's shown on this earlier (1903) map as "Canada Road East"

Does anyone know when or why the street's name was changed?

It's shown on this earlier (1903) map as "Canada Road East"

Does anyone know when or why the street's name was changed?

#entry40190

#entry26007

O/S map, revised & Re-surveyed in 1901-1903.

:blink:

The area was originally known as Canada Gardens, and was subdivided in garden plots (a popular scheme in Sheffield - eg Club Gardens, Steel Bank). See the 1853 map:

The area was gradually encroached on by builders, but also by the Water Works Company. In 1879 the first meeting of the Recreation Grounds Committee recommended buying 5 acres, 1 rood and 30 poles of land known as Canada Gardens at Crookesmoor form the Water Works Company, for £400 per acre, to create a Recreation Ground. This dragged on and by 1881 the plan was to lease 11 acres at a rent of £350 per annum.

In 1890 the Town Council confirmed a number of street name changes, Canada road east to Blythe street being included. This was probably to eliminate possible confusion with Canada street off Petre street, Brightside.

Although the new name's appearance on maps was substantially delayed, residents and census takers quickly adopted it. The 1891 census includes Blythe street and a death notice in 1892 refers to Blythe street:

Guest plain talker

Thanks so much for this information! brilliant!

Grandpa was born in 1913 or 14 (we are never quite sure!) and he and my gran always referred to it as "T'canada" and when I asked where it was, they always just said "wey, it wer' oop 't'ttop end of't' Ponderosa, near Summer street".

I know that my gran was brought up in one of the courts on Summer Street.