Sheffield Smelting Company

VicRichardson

I used to operate a 'drop stamp' at Sheffield smelting making solid silver cutlery, don't suppose they are around any more.

The last time i heard the sound of "what I thought was a drop stamp" was around six years ago,

it was one of the firms on, or near Matilda Street.

I would not know if there are any still in use locally.

The last time i heard the sound of "what I thought was a drop stamp" was around six years ago,

it was one of the firms on, or near Matilda Street.

I would not know if there are any still in use locally.

There used to be a few little cutlery workshops around that area, don't see much cutlery with "Made in Sheffield" stamped on it any more.

Sheffield Smelting Company supplied us with brazing and silver soldering rod. They were taken over by Engelhard who I think were a German company. They made 2 of their employees redundant and with their redundancy money they set up Solder Products on a side street to The Wicker in competition with Engelhard. Some years later the 2 Solder Products owners bought the original factory from Engelhard. If you go down Attercliffe Road opposite Salmon Pastures you will find the sign on the wall is "Solpro Group"

I used to go to Solder Products to repair induction furnaces and later Solpro Group to repair the same equipment. They were badly hit in the Sheffield floods of a few years ago.

Sheffield Smelting Company supplied us with brazing and silver soldering rod. They were taken over by Engelhard who I think were a German company. They made 2 of their employees redundant and with their redundancy money they set up Solder Products on a side street to The Wicker in competition with Engelhard. Some years later the 2 Solder Products owners bought the original factory from Engelhard. If you go down Attercliffe Road opposite Salmon Pastures you will find the sign on the wall is "Solpro Group"

I used to go to Solder Products to repair induction furnaces and later Solpro Group to repair the same equipment. They were badly hit in the Sheffield floods of a few years ago.

This group is now British Silverware which includes Dixons plus other companies. Carrs of Halfway, the Cutlery & Silverware group was started by an ex employee of the S.S.C.

Guest John Baker

My grandparents (Albert and Ruth Baker) were caretakers at the Arundel St HQ of SSCo from the 1920s to the 1950s. Dad grew up there

but after the war moved to London. We visited the grandparents in their flat their in the mid 1950s on the way back from a holiday in the Yorkshire 

dales and I can still remember the sound of large drop forge hammers. Next time we visited was the early 1960s - grandparents were by then dead 

and the whole area was empty of life with many buildings on the point of being demolished including SSCo HQ; I assumed this was to make way for

the 12 storey Owen building for the then Sheffield Polytechnic though I have since seen a photo that shows the old SSCo building in the foreground

and the 12 storey building in the background.

On 09/08/2014 at 16:57, Old rider said:

Charles Engelhard was an American and at one time one if the richest men in the world. He was also.the owner of one of the greatest racehorses Nijinski