Ford.

VicRichardson

I remember going to a place just outside Sheffield called 'Ford' There were a few ponds there where you could go fishing. My Grand parents used to have a wooden hut there with a nice garden, they used to spend weekends there just to get out of Sheffield. I have spent many a weekend out there when I was a youngster. The was even some ruins of an old mill with a water wheel. Funny the things that stick in your memory.

Guest Barbara M

I remember going to a place just outside Sheffield called 'Ford' There were a few ponds there where you could go fishing. My Grand parents used to have a wooden hut there with a nice garden, they used to spend weekends there just to get out of Sheffield. I have spent many a weekend out there when I was a youngster. The was even some ruins of an old mill with a water wheel. Funny the things that stick in your memory.

There was a pub too called the Bridge inn , very picturesque , I remember this hamlet too ...it was too small to be called a villiage & up the hill was Marsh Lane .

There was a pub too called the Bridge inn , very picturesque , I remember this hamlet too ...it was too small to be called a villiage & up the hill was Marsh Lane .

For a small village it has (had?) several pubs.

Back in the days when Sheffield had 10:30 closing time and Derbyshire (Ford was, and still is, in Derbyshire) had 11:00pm these pubs were handy for "last half hour" drinking, - providing you could get someone to drive you there, and back afterwards, who DIDN'T drink!

I might have seen you there. Back in the 60's we used to walk from Hackenthorpe, down Brook Lane and up the other side past the canons through a wood which was reminiscent of a scene from Kes. We came out on Mosborough Moor, then (consulting my map) we must have walked up High Lane and down Ridgeway Moor Main Road. Or maybe we just legged it across country to Ford.

It was a long walk for little legs, we were about 14 at the time, but in those days we did it and thought nothing of it. We spent all day splashing about in the river then walked home. They were wonderful times and we were not the only ones, kids our age were wandering all over the countryside back then. It is sad to think how, for many reasons, circumstances have changed and I fear those days will never be seen again.

Guest al_linfit

For a small village it has (had?) several pubs.

Back in the days when Sheffield had 10:30 closing time and Derbyshire (Ford was, and still is, in Derbyshire) had 11:00pm these pubs were handy for "last half hour" drinking, - providing you could get someone to drive you there, and back afterwards, who DIDN'T drink!

Brings back memories.

I can remember the 'last half hour dash' from the Old Harrow to the Phoenix, to get the extra half hour drinking in.

The Phoenix was then a much smaller pub than it is now and I think slightly more liberal on calling last orders.

Brings back memories.

I can remember the 'last half hour dash' from the Old Harrow to the Phoenix, to get the extra half hour drinking in.

The Phoenix was then a much smaller pub than it is now and I think slightly more liberal on calling last orders.

The Old Harrow was itself in Derbyshire ay one time, the old dividing line (before my time drinking) ran straight through townend, The Heely and Sheffield being in Sheffield and the Red Lion being in Derbyshire, the 2 easily being within walking distance of each other!

Also, and there is a topic on here about it somewhere (LINK FAIRY!!) as half of Gleadless Townened was in Derbyshire and half in Sheffield the shops had different half day closing patterns.

I might have seen you there. Back in the 60's we used to walk from Hackenthorpe, down Brook Lane and up the other side past the canons through a wood which was reminiscent of a scene from Kes. We came out on Mosborough Moor, then (consulting my map) we must have walked up High Lane and down Ridgeway Moor Main Road. Or maybe we just legged it across country to Ford.

Hello Thylacine

Since the building of the new estates I'd presumed that the route from Brook Lane had been built over, but recently I realised that (although cut through by the road and tram track) the path down to Camps Bottom, Penny Loaf and The Bluebell wood may still exist in some form or other. One of these days I'll get round to walking down there to see what's left.

By the by, I was in The Bridge a couple of days ago.

Hello Thylacine

Since the building of the new estates I'd presumed that the route from Brook Lane had been built over, but recently I realised that (although cut through by the road and tram track) the path down to Camps Bottom, Penny Loaf and The Bluebell wood may still exist in some form or other. One of these days I'll get round to walking down there to see what's left.

If you do, please take a camera :)

By the by, I was in The Bridge a couple of days ago.

Some people ave all the luck

Guest al_linfit

The Old Harrow was itself in Derbyshire at one time, the old dividing line (before my time drinking) ran straight through townend,

Before my drinking time as well, I assume the boundaries were all 'straightened out' when Sheffield invaded Derbyshire and 'seized' Mosborough bypassing Ridgeway and Ford.

I know I had a day trip to London as part of our schools (Westfield) protest at coming under the control of Sheffield, must have been 66 or 67ish

The Heeley and Sheffield being in Sheffield and the Red Lion being in Derbyshire, the 2 easily being within walking distance of each other!

Yes, a nice gentle stroll, as jogging hadn't been invented yet, we had to rely on a drunken Star Walk to get to the Phoenix in time.

Before my drinking time as well, I assume the boundaries were all 'straightened out' when Sheffield invaded Derbyshire and 'seized' Mosborough bypassing Ridgeway and Ford.

I know I had a day trip to London as part of our schools (Westfield) protest at coming under the control of Sheffield, must have been 66 or 67ish

It was 1967 when the border was extended to include these parts of Derbyshire.

I wonder of you know my friend Philip Wells who was also a student at Westfield at that time and also went on a trip to London to protest about the Sheffield invasion.

This site covers the area ... A history of Birley Hay

I found this very interesting, I'm sure I must know the man that wrote it as he was living there right through the period that I spent so much time there. Reading it really brought back some very happy memories.

Went down there yesterday morning Thylacine and the paths are still there. Mostly hard surfaced now, and partly built on. We went up to Mosborough Top and back down the next path along which makes a sort of circular route.

We did take some photos, which haven't turned out to be very good. (I'll blame that on the sun being very low on the horizon. :) )

I'll post some when I've sorted out a few that actually show something.

There are sill a number of fishing ponds at Ford, one is directly behind the Bridge Inn.

I have a very vague memory of a Health and Safety issue at The Bridge Public House

due to the cellar being naturally cooled by a stream running through it which had to be

stopped because of hygiene issues..

Went down there yesterday morning Thylacine and the paths are still there. Mostly hard surfaced now, and partly built on. We went up to Mosborough Top and back down the next path along which makes a sort of circular route.

We did take some photos, which haven't turned out to be very good. (I'll blame that on the sun being very low on the horizon. :) )

I'll post some when I've sorted out a few that actually show something.

Waiting in anticipation . . . ^_^

Here they are in all their low res glory.

Sorry Thylacine, I intend to go back sometime and do some better ones.

Numbered more or less where I took them.

Too many for a single post

Thank you Vox, for my walk down memory lane. It's not as wild as I remember it but it still has some of the magic.

Of course it's winter so the foliage is a bit thin. Your third pic must be the brook that ran at the end of Brook Lane, there was no bridge when we played there. Donetsk Way is all new to me and Moss Way that cuts across Birley Spa Lane behind the Hogs Head.

Ah well, I haven't lived there for a long time, I remember Sheffield as it was way back then and I feel privileged to have known it at all.

Thanks again Vox, I'd better go before I cry in my port.

Thank you Vox, for my walk down memory lane. It's not as wild as I remember it but it still has some of the magic.

Of course it's winter so the foliage is a bit thin. Your third pic must be the brook that ran at the end of Brook Lane, there was no bridge when we played there.

Not quite, I was probably misleading by saying "end of Brook Lane" I think Brook Lane continued (as a footpath) further in a straight line down to the brook. As you said there was no bridge over the brook. I've shown this roughly in yellow on the map.

The photo that I called "end of Brook Lane" is where we often used to turn off to the right through/over a wooden gate and across the field. This went down to the bridge (which was always there), although at the time it was an old wooden one.

All the paths around that part seem to be surfaced now, which does spoil it a bit as far as a "trip back in time" is concerned. Even the one through Bluebell Wood is gravelled and seems much wider than I remember it.

Intend to go back next year when there is some foliage about (and going later in the day when the sun is a bit higher may help) I wonder if the bluebells are still there in Springtime.