Hollinsend Sewage Works

madannie77

as photographed in 1930.

Hollinsend Sewage Works was situated on the Shire Brook. It was taken over by Sheffield City Council from Handsworth UDC in 1921, and remodelled in 1929.

The remodelled works was designed to cope with a daily dry weather flow of 90,000 gallons, all domestic (by way of comparison Blackburn Meadows could cope with 22,000,000 gallons daily, both domestic and industrial).

There is much more information which is probably of no interest to anyone other than those (such as me) who have worked in waste water treatment in Sewage Disposal in Sheffield 1886-1930, published by the City Council.

Does anyone have any more information about the works, such as the opening date of the first works and the date of closure.

(is there a Map Fairy in the house?)

==============================================

Edit: SHB

as photographed in 1930.

Hollinsend Sewage Works was situated on the Shire Brook. It was taken over by Sheffield City Council from Handsworth UDC in 1921, and remodelled in 1929.

The remodelled works was designed to cope with a daily dry weather flow of 90,000 gallons, all domestic (by way of comparison Blackburn Meadows could cope with 22,000,000 gallons daily, both domestic and industrial).

There is much more information which is probably of no interest to anyone other than those (such as me) who have worked in waste water treatment in Sewage Disposal in Sheffield 1886-1930, published by the City Council.

Does anyone have any more information about the works, such as the opening date of the first works and the date of closure.

(is there a Map Fairy in the house?)

Brilliant find madannie.

Close to where I live and there seems to be little evidence of it ever being there now, - in fact I never knew it existed.

Brilliant find madannie.

Close to where I live and there seems to be little evidence of it ever being there now, - in fact I never knew it existed.

Similarly for me. Close to where I was born and raised and went to school, and I never knew about it either.

I have found no further mention of the works anywhere yet.

"Hollinsend Sewage Plant was built at the bottom of Jaunty Park

near Mansfield Road in 1895 and was re-modelled in 1929.

It closed after the Coisley Hill Sewage Plant opened in 1938".

History in the Shire Brook Valley

"Hollinsend Sewage Plant was built at the bottom of Jaunty Park

near Mansfield Road in 1895 and was re-modelled in 1929.

It closed after the Coisley Hill Sewage Plant opened in 1938".

History in the Shire Brook Valley

Not sure how I missed that one when searching yesterday :blink:.

To clarify the Coisley HIll comment, the plant which opened in 1938 was a new works was opened adjacent to an already existing works there, which explains why Coisley Hill Works is also featured in the 1930 book.

Thank you for the map extracts.

Take Sheffield. Nothing can be fouler probably than the state of the water at Sheffield.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RAxOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA188&dq=sheffield+sewage&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ye6sUIzvIovHswbpkIHgBA&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=sheffield%20sewage&f=false

I have an excellent book

Shire Brook, The Forgotten Valley

ISBN 1-901587-65-7

There is a section about Sewage works of the Shirebrook Vally, but this is mainly about the Stone Lane site which closed in 1991

MA, did you know there was a narrow gauge railway at the Stone Lane site

1 used copy on Amazon

Not sure how I missed that one when searching yesterday :blink:.

To clarify the Coisley HIll comment, the plant which opened in 1938 was a new works was opened adjacent to an already existing works there, which explains why Coisley Hill Works is also featured in the 1930 book.

Thank you for the map extracts.

Aaah, - now I am aware of and do know where the Coisley Hill site is.

I have an excellent book

Shire Brook, The Forgotten Valley

ISBN 1-901587-65-7

There is a section about Sewage works of the Shirebrook Vally, but this is mainly about the Stone Lane site which closed in 1991

MA, did you know there was a narrow gauge railway at the Stone Lane site

1 used copy on Amazon

Is that a used copy of the book or the narrow gauge railway or the Stone Lane site? lol:Phe he.

Yes, I did know about the 2 ft gauge railway at Coisley Hill and the one at Woodhouse Mill Works. They feature in Sheffield's Sewage Works Railways by Adrian Booth, although most of the book is given over to Blackburn Meadows.

Is that a used copy of the book, the narrow gauge railway or the Stone Lane site? lol:Phe he.

No its about the whole valley, quite a bit about the railways of Birley pits, a good book :)