New Member - Hi Everyone

Guest Helena Cook

Guest Helena Cook

I've joined this site in the hope that I can find out a lot more about my family in sheffield over the centuries....both sides of my father's family come from, or settled in Sheffield and the surrounding areas...

My father is quite ill and I would love to find out as much as I can for him over the next few months...he started tracing our family roots, and has made quite a headway, but we still have some stumbling blocks and also we would like to know which significant places are still in existance today....

I shall move over to the geneology section for my main queries...but would like to know generally about places where my family have lived...for instance, in the 1861 census, my great-great-grandfather, George Cook was living with his wife and family at Baines Yard. where was this place in Sheffield? he was a steel melter...

I'll pop back here regulalrly to see if anyone can help with anything...

There was a Baines Yard off Holly Street (next to current City Hall) in 1839 (newspaper report of a theft of ivory shives). The 1853 map (below) does not show a Baines Yard but the Queen Steel Works on Holly Street may have been the place of employment of some Baines Yard inhabitants.

If you have access to Ancestry, the 1798 Land Tax records may show the names of the occupiers and the landlord (presumably Mr Baines).

Quality ! Lets get into a fight about which one it is,

Difficult to know.

There was a Baines Yard off Holly Street (next to current City Hall) in 1839 (newspaper report of a theft of ivory shives). The 1853 map (below) does not show a Baines Yard but the Queen Steel Works on Holly Street may have been the place of employment of some Baines Yard inhabitants.

If you have access to Ancestry, the 1798 Land Tax records may show the names of the occupiers and the landlord (presumably Mr Baines).

Scrub the Holly Lane suggestion... Looking at the Census entry Baines Yard was off Lord Street, Park , near 153 and 155 Lord Street. Probably at the south eastern end of Ropery Row

Guest Helena Cook

Thank you all for all your help. fabulous to have so much knowledge between you!...I got the address from the census...my relative, my Great, Great, Grandfather, George Cook (although they spelt it wrong there...) he was a steel Meltor (?)......His son Frank ended up at Seagrove Road, nr Heeley and was manager of Britannia Metal.....we have a pretty impressive collection of his pewterwork...they did seem to have a pretty hard existence in those days....Frank's son Bernard, my Grandfather married Nellie Simpson (my Grandmother)...her father (William) and Grandfather (George Oxspring) were tenant farmers at Southey Manor, where she was born.. it was owned by the Duke of Norfolk...he left there when they demolished it in 1935 and bought Charlton Brook farm nr Chapletown...that side of the family seemed to have had more comfort....I have a wonderful dinner service that was given to my great Grandparents as a wedding gift from the duke of Norfolk.....meanwhile poor George cook ended his days at The Old Pit Yard, still working as a highway labourer at the age of 73....

No punch-up then ? Shame he he

Scrub the Holly Lane suggestion... Looking at the Census entry Baines Yard was off Lord Street, Park , near 153 and 155 Lord Street. Probably at the south eastern end of Ropery Row

I'm not able to speak for the others but personally I have no knowledge at all, what I have is a bunch of experience and an ability to search.

Thank you all for all your help. fabulous to have so much knowledge between you!...