Help Wanted - Ww1 Photo's And Information

Stuart0742

With stage one complete for the Sheffield Soldier Website , we now have 30,000 plus names uploaded, more will follow over the coming months.

We will now start uploading images, from Trefcons huge archive, however do you have any photos of WW1 Sheffield Service Men?, do you have family members who served during WW1?

Would you like to contribute to the site, contributions welcome

Either post on here, Sheffield History or contact us direct Contact Form

Guest Trefcon

Thanks Oldbloke. Yes, definately West Riding cap badge. He must have been with the 'Duke's' previous to the 'Mancs', looking at his medal card there is no 15 Star, only the Victory and British War medals, December 1915 was the cut off for the Star, plus the 'Theatre of War Entered' is blank, this 'ususally' means a man didn't go overseas until after 1916.

Dean.

I have another relative (great-great uncle born Sheffield 1884) Edwin James. He joined up in 1902.

He left the 4th West Riding Brigade Field Artillery in 1908 to join the Coldstream Guards where he became Lance Corporal (8337).

He lived at 38 Aberdeen Street before the war and Lancing Road in 1920 according to his medal card.

I wish I knew more, but that's all I have at the moment.

He was a Cabinet Case Manufacturer of Street & James Ltd, living at 198 Lancing Road in 1925.

... Edwin James...

I wish I knew more, but that's all I have at the moment.

Yup I got that, and that he died in 1960. My mum knows nothing about him, the James family all seemed pretty distant when it came to discussing relatives (apart from the mythical one that took off to the USA with all the family money).