Greaves Casemakers - Fire In Late 1940S

Guest phil106

Guest phil106

Not sure if this is in the right section, but am sure it will be moved if not.....

Anybody know anything about the fire that destroyed the factory of E Greaves, the casemakers, sometime between 1947-50? The factory was on Matilda Street, and opened again on (I think ) Sydney Street.

My late mother was working there at the time and I was told only recently that she raised the alarm. Unfortunately my informant ( her younger sister) was very young at the time and can't date it any more accurately.

I'm trying to narrow down the date so I can look in the newspaper archives etc. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Phil

Greaves Cabinet makers was situated on the corner of Sidney St & Matilda St, I just worked accross the road from then in the seventies until the late eighties, Mr Greaves the M.D.was at work every day, he turned up at eight oclock and went home at four thirty and he always travelled to work his Rolls Royce. A bit of history info the very first traffic lights in Sheffield were set up on this very corner.When the Greaves business was sold I did hear it was bought by some Pakistani or Indian bloke by then you knew it wouldnt last long before it closed for good.

He (Mr Greaves) used to give out capons to everyone that worked there at Christmas. There was a factory on Little London Road as well I believe