Knife Maker

VicRichardson

Can any of the older members remember a small workshop on West Street that used to make knives? Mainly Bowie type knives but also made throwing knives for many of the circus acts, and divers knives. It was owned and run by Sam Hancock and his wife Flo. Sam's nickname in the cutlery trade was 'Sam Bowie' because of his knife making. I cant remember the name of the company, does anyone out there remember?

A small shop, with workshops above, almost bang opposite the junction with Carver Street and almost bang next door to the, then, Saddle Inn.

Always had an impressive selection in the window.

I am afraid though, that I cannot remember the name of the company, I am not even sure from memory that it even had a name board, but I think that the building in which is was situate, still exists.

At Nos 100 West St in 1974 were the following businesses

Davidson & Co Steel Stamp makers

G, Sadler Pen & Pocket-knife maker

Mortons Scissors (the building is now named after this manufacturer)

W.H. Wragg Pen & Pocket-Knife maker

I W Gillatt & Son Silversmiths

In that small building was an array of superb manufacturers producing fantastic goods but all we have left is the name MORTON

1968 100 West Street

Davidson & Co. (Steel Stamps) Ltd., mark makers

Himsworth L., pen and pocket knife manufacturer

Wragg W. H., pen and pocket knife manufacturers

and 100-104 Morton Scissors, scissor manufacturers

At Nos 100 West St in 1974 were the following businesses

Davidson & Co Steel Stamp makers

G, Sadler Pen & Pocket-knife maker

Mortons Scissors (the building is now named after this manufacturer)

W.H. Wragg Pen & Pocket-Knife maker

I W Gillatt & Son Silversmiths

In that small building was an array of superb manufacturers producing fantastic goods but all we have left is the name MORTON

1957 100 West Street

Wm. Davidson (G. L. Barthorpe), mark maker

100 Morton Scissors, scissor manufacturer

100 & 104 W. Dyson, scissor manufacturer.

A small shop, with workshops above, almost bang opposite the junction with Carver Street and almost bang next door to the, then, Saddle Inn.

Always had an impressive selection in the window.

I am afraid though, that I cannot remember the name of the company, I am not even sure from memory that it even had a name board, but I think that the building in which is was situate, still exists.

Thats sounds like the one I am thinking of.

Thats sounds like the one I am thinking of.

Out of all of the potential offerings listed above, I would suspect that W.H. Wragg Pen & Pocket-Knife maker, seems the most likely.

I remember Morton Scissors on the corner, but I do not think that it was them.

I remember passing the shop window in question regularly during the period, 1979 to 1982, as I always used to go to The Saddle Inn, daily at lunchtime, for a pie and a pint. Happier Days!

Large Sigh! :(

I just wonder if this is the name over that shop you have been trying to find.Today I have just brought off a friend this 2bladed penknife.i haven't cleaned it ,just put some gun oil on the joints and now it snaps shut perfectly.The name on the tang reads WRAGGS ARUNDEL ST SHEFFIELD ENGLAND.

IMG_20180516_193953.jpg

IMG_20180516_193856.jpg

IMG_20180516_193830.jpg

IMG_20180516_193759.jpg

IMG_20180516_193730.jpg

Hello, there are plenty of mentions of "Morton scissors" in this post. Here is an image of a pair of scissors made by "W.Morton & Sons" Sheffield.

104423470_WMORTONSCISSORSSHEFFIELD.jpg.4152781b781d8977ef43942fc07990bf.jpg

Is this the company concerned? Have we any more information? Can we spread the information?

Kalfred