Anybody miss this?

dunsbyowl1867

Was this it in this picture?

yes.

The white unfinished footbridge is there. It was so optimistic........

yes.

The white unfinished footbridge is there. It was so optimistic........

Thought it was, so was the 2nd pyramid going to be on the other side of Young Street?

Thought it was, so was the 2nd pyramid going to be on the other side of Young Street?

Yes, but as the available land was much less, I suspect the plans were just for a small annex, rather than a huge twin.

Could have been worse "Salisbury Flyover" and the Cosira Builfing, The motorway between tenements blocks in Sauchihall (spelling ?) Street in Glasgow or the ridiculous Central Motorway in Newcastte which I drve on almost everyday...

There was supposed to be a second building built south. If you remember there was a foot bridge built in the air that just finished. That was supposidly to lead to another pyramid, or at least another section of the building that was never started.

Yes, but as the available land was much less, I suspect the plans were just for a small annex, rather than a huge twin.

The twin pyramids <_<

That sounds like a terrorist target :huh:

Guest Tigeratplay

That Manpower building never grew on me. It's one of the most disgusting pieces of tatt I've ever seen. Must take 1/2 hour to reach your desk after going through the entrance!

That Manpower building never grew on me. It's one of the most disgusting pieces of tatt I've ever seen. Must take 1/2 hour to reach your desk after going through the entrance!

I'm sure a lot of us agree with you on that one Tigeratplay.

For me it is the worst building in Sheffield.

Much worse than the egg box, Castle market, the cheesegrater car park or any other building that has come in for criticism in this forum,

If we had a poll for the worst building MSC would get my vote.

Why build it across a main road and block it off?

Why tell us it would create local jobs, - and then staff it with people brought in from outside who already had jobs?

I quite like the moorfoot mountain. The building I detest the most in the city centre is the Novotel.

It is just a nasty and cheap buiding that was thrown up in around 1989.

Excellent I'd forgotten that ramp-thing.

A year or so earlier than the photo of the MSC with that "ramp thing" in place (that one was taken in 1981)

Here is a 1979 picture of the MSC building being built.

If we had a poll for the worst building MSC would get my vote.

Why build it across a main road and block it off?

I agree with you Dave, the worst thing about this building was to plonk it

smack in the middle of a main thoroughfare.

What idiot thought that one up, I hope eventually he got the boot. :angry:

I agree with you Dave, the worst thing about this building was to plonk it

smack in the middle of a main thoroughfare.

What idiot thought that one up, I hope eventually he got the boot. :angry:

Well, from muddycoffee's earlier post, they could have run the road through a tunnel right through the middle of the building if they had wanted, but then gated it off for security reasons.

It certainly made a mess of routes and access in that area of town.

Well, from muddycoffee's earlier post, they could have run the road through a tunnel right through the middle of the building if they had wanted, but then gated it off for security reasons.

It certainly made a mess of routes and access in that area of town.

Muddycoffee's right, it was intended to preserve the thoroughfare, and include a 'station' for the proposed monorail in the archway.

I remember seeing some artists impression of the proposed monorail superimposed on street photos, and it looked awful!

Muddycoffee's right, it was intended to preserve the thoroughfare, and include a 'station' for the proposed monorail in the archway.

I remember seeing some artists impression of the proposed monorail superimposed on street photos, and it looked awful!

is, I assume, the monorail in question.

That's it!

In the linked topic with pictures of it, it is shown passing over the top of the hole in the road.

So, unlike the Supertram, if we had gone with minitram we could have kept the hole in the road instead of having to fill it in.

On the other hand I remember a picture of it passing along Leopold Street to pass the Town Hall at first floor height, carried on huge concrete pillars with the trackway on top. It wasn't really a monorail, more like the light railway in Docklands, or the system in Birmingham.

On the other hand I remember a picture of it passing along Leopold Street to pass the Town Hall at first floor height, carried on huge concrete pillars with the trackway on top. It wasn't really a monorail, more like the light railway in Docklands, or the system in Birmingham.

Not like that Liverpool docks overhead railway that closed down in the 1950's then