London St. Pancras To Sheffield -1971

SteveHB

London St. Pancras To Sheffield  - Part 2: Market Harborough to Sheffield.

Chesterfield to Sheffield Midland can be seen at 1 hour 20 mins of the video.

Excellent film, great find Steve

Good to see the Burrowing junction at Queens Rd, now long since gone

The guys pronunciation leaves a lot to be desired, Broadway Tunnel, Beauchief pronounced Bowchief, Millhouses and Eccleshall. But an great film all the same

The guys pronunciation leaves a lot to be desired, Broadway Tunnel, Beauchief pronounced Bowchief, Millhouses and Eccleshall. But an great film all the same

When did the burrowing junction stop being used? I used to catch the TPO from birmingham on a friday night in the late 70s, and thought I remembered going under the dive under then to get to platform 1.

When did the burrowing junction stop being used? I used to catch the TPO from birmingham on a friday night in the late 70s, and thought I remembered doing under the dive under then to get to platform 1.

Now that's a good question

According to Stephen Batty in Rail Centres: Sheffield (Book Law Publications, 2005 reprint of the Ian Allan 1984 book) the dive-under was taken out of use on 25th June 1972.

According to Stephen Batty in Rail Centres: Sheffield (Book Law Publications, 2005 reprint of the Ian Allan 1984 book) the dive-under was taken out of use on 25th June 1972.

In which case I am very much mistaken that I'd been in trains that used it! Wishful thinking.

He also says as the train enters Chesterfield that Robert Stephenson lived out his days in a cottage overlooking the railway. Some cottage Tapton House, it's a School now.

But yes a great film.

PS I did wonder why the train did not stop at any stations, must have been run just for the film!!