Fireman killed in blitz

My wifes uncle, Arthur Moore was a driver in the Auxilliary Fire Service during the 2nd World War and was killed in the blitz while fighting a fire in Burgess Street, Sheffield on 13th December 1940. He was only 28 years old and may have been the only fireman to be killed in the Blitz - does anyone know of another fireman killed ?

Does anyone know precisely where Burgess Street was ?

John

My wifes uncle, Arthur Moore was a driver in the Auxilliary Fire Service during the 2nd World War and was killed in the blitz while fighting a fire in Burgess Street, Sheffield on 13th December 1940. He was only 28 years old and may have been the only fireman to be killed in the Blitz - does anyone know of another fireman killed ?

John

Your man is listed on here - (Auxillary Fire Service)

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Indexes/N...ad/CWD_M-N.html

There was a Burgess Road in Attercliffe in 1970 though Burgess Street may be elsewhere!

John

John - Lokking at the list there looks to have been at least 5 AFS men killed during the Blitz. It also looks as though a comrade of Arthur Moore's died along side him.

Swaby, John William (AFS) - 38 yrs - 13 Dec 1940 - Burgess St, Sheffield, WRY - 2301

Guest JackD

John, My dad was in the AFS at the same time,during the blitz he was at the St Marks church when it was bombed.At the same time our street got bombed, and one was lodged in between our house roof and next doors.While we were being evacuated to St Marks Church hall in Broomspring Lane.my dad was reported as being killed,Fortunatly he was'nt, but i believe another fireman was.

JackD

John

I can help you I have a full list of the firefighters killed in the sheffield blitz please email me on info@narfsheffield.org.uk

Burgess St Runs down the left hand side of Coles from Barkers Pool to Cross Burgess Street. Another fireman was killed with your Wife's Uncle.