Carlisle Street East

Guest T.T.

Does anyone know what was behind the wall in Carlisle Street East that you can see in this view on Google Maps?

http://goo.gl/maps/LVuNV

This map (#91) shows a building there...

I'm trying to find out what the building was and whether it was at street level or raised up.

A recce of the site has revealed plenty of brick walls and a floor (roof?) but it's not clear if there is something beneath (i'm hoping for something in the same vein as the "Medical Centre" just a little further down the street).

One of these probably (since you're not going to bung a beerhouse or fried fish dealer behind a wall like that) :

Augustus Pearce & Sons, Iron, steel, coke and sand merchants 129 Carlisle Street (1911-1925)

Edwin Banks, Metal Broker and beerhouse, 147 Carlisle Street East (1911)

Coupe Brothers, Carting contractors, builders merchants & brick manufacturers 19 Carlisle Street East (1919-1925)

George Carr, builder & contractoe & brick maker 65 Carlisle Street East (1893)

Henry Bessemer & Co. Ltd, manufacturers of "stuff", Bessemer Steel Works, Carlisle Street East (1911-1925)

Kayser, Ellison & Co. Ltd, steel manufacturers Carlisle Street East (1925)

lots of coal merchants, lots of pubs and beerhouses ...

No problem.

Thanks Richard but the building I'm looking for was there in the 1950's and, I believe, was part of Firth Browns.

I realise this is an old thread, but just in case you never got your answer...

Behind the wall is what used to be the medical centre for Firth Browns. I have plent of images of the inside (as it stands now) if you're curious?

Ads

Scrap that, missed this in the original post:

A recce of the site has revealed plenty of brick walls and a floor (roof?) but it's not clear if there is something beneath (i'm hoping for something in the same vein as the "Medical Centre" just a little further down the street).

I was once told by someone claiming to be an ex employee of the site that there was once a shooting range and ambulance station, probably where the picture shows, however never found anything to support this.

Further back towards the factory there are / were air raid shelters.

That building  that was behind the wall was a school my dad attended around 1920. It was the only 'senior' school in the area then as Burngreave wasn't built until 1931. Later becoming Firth-Brown property.  Correct that the Carlisle Street East side was a 'Firth-Brown' ambulance station with Air raid shelters underneath. The Forncett Street side was a  canteen.