34 Collegiate Crescent

Guest SamJTrevor

Guest SamJTrevor

Hello,

I'm doing a study into the background history of no. 34 collegiate crescent.

If anyone has any links to find out more it would be appreciated! in particular its importance to the area and the people involved with the history of the building·

Cheers

Darbyshire Ven. Archdeacon John Russell M.A.

(vicar & archdeacon of Sheffield).

34 Collegiate Crescent.

(Kelly's directoy 1925)

Eyre Rev. John Rashdall M.A. (vicar of Sheffield),

34 Collegiate Crescent.

(White's 1901 & 1905).

Sale Rev. Thomas, D.D.,

Belmont, Collegiate Crescent.

(1862).

Additional

Ven. John Edward BLAKENEY, Archdeacon & Vicar of Sheffield, Rural Dean, Canon of York & Chaplain,

The Vicarage, St James' Row & Belmont, 34 Collegiate Crescent, Broomhall Kelly's 1893

Venerable John Rashdall EYRE, Vicar & Archdeacon of Sheffield, Belmont,34 Collegiate Crscent White's 1911

Ven. Herbert Gresford JONES, Vicar & Archdeacon of Sheffield, 34 Collegiate Crescent White's 1919

Darbyshire Ven. Archdeacon John Russell M.A.

(vicar & archdeacon of Sheffield).

34 Collegiate Crescent.

(Kelly's directoy 1925)

Guest SamJTrevor

Ha i would hope not :)

Would it be possible to find the name of the Architects and Builders of the building?

Guest SUPRISESTORM

Hello ..i was lucky enough to live at 34 Collegiate Crescent in the late fiftys to the 60s .My mother and father were steward and stewardes..when it was under the control of United Coke and Chemicals .I can tell you a lot about it from that era or are you looking at earlier history?

William White (our friend who compiled the Trade Directories) was at No 34 in 1863 and was advertising for "Several Well educated YOUNG MEN" to collect information for his Directory

All history most welcome whatever the era, Thank you.

Hello ..i was lucky enough to live at 34 Collegiate Crescent in the late fiftys to the 60s .My mother and father were steward and stewardes..when it was under the control of United Coke and Chemicals .I can tell you a lot about it from that era or are you looking at earlier history?

William White, Directory publisher, 34 Collegiate Crescent, Broomhall Park (Kelly's 1854 Directory)

William White (our friend who compiled the Trade Directories) was at No 34 in 1863 ...

Guest basilbear

Hello - I've just discovered your interesting link with #34. As it happens I am doing some research on #32. At the period of time that you mention, I believe Mr John Laverick of Tinsley Park Colliery was there (upto mid/late 50s) and subsequently the property was run by United Steel Companies.

Do have anything to add to that? It would be very interesting to know more about the USC's use of #32.

Thanks

Guest SUPRISESTORM

Hello we arrived at 34 Collegiate Crescent ... my Mother,Father and Brother about 1954 when it was ru. I remeber n by United

Coke and Chemicals ,my mother and father being steward and stewardess .Number 32 at that time was a vacant property 'English Steel took over at 34 and also aquired 32 .l remeber the builders being in at 32 ..and remeber huge brass chandiliers bieng thrown out .The entrance hall at 32 was very grand with colourful stone tiling ...a wonderful staircase whith huge cut glass windows half the way up the landing ...i used to slide down the banister

The house was then split into various rooms for accomadation for the trainee managers to stay.I remember the driveway

had two cast iron lamps with with round globes ..which must have looked wonderful at night There was a pathway built between the two houses ..and later a building containing two squash courts and a table tennis room was built on the land in between. If you have any questions please ask!

Regards

john

Guest basilbear

Thank you John, that's lovely. It sounds as though you had a lovely time living there!

Thanks for the great descriptions - superb.

My research is coming to an end now, but I will re-post if a question comes to me.

regards

BasilBear