Locations Of Sheffield Weirs

AdrianM

Here's an intersting link I have just come across. It gives a list of wiers around Sheffield including the old mill and grinding wheel wiers, and gives their map references. As well as Sheffield it includes the Dearne, Hipper and Rother and some other branches.

http://www.sheffield...ates_weirs.pdf

Might be useful to someone (like me!)

A

I couldn't quite figure out the number of weirs in Endcliffe, but I think they've included the ornamental waterfalls that were built in the river when the park was tarted up in the early 1900's.

I don't guarantee anything on the internet!!!!!!!!!! And I have no idea of the context in which it was produced.

One thing I noticed was that this gives 'wiers' not 'mills'. I found the file when checking for the location of Simon Wheel - the weir was on the Sheaf, the Wheel was quite a distance away almost of the banks of the Don. It shows quite nicely on Gosling's map (where the wheel is just identified as 'Cutlers Wheel'). It looks to be on Fairbanks' 1771 map but then as 'Simon Wheel' (or that's what the blur on my low resolution copy looks like).

A

Given the number of times I have used Picture Sheffield, I must either be blinkered or very focussed to have missed the Historic Maps link!

Many thanks - an excellent spot.

A

Given the number of times I have used Picture Sheffield, I must either be blinkered or very focussed to have missed the Historic Maps link!

Many thanks - an excellent spot.

A

The maps link is very new since the recent revamp.