Elliott & Sons

mick851

Yes, I’m preparing a list of Sheffield firms with government contracts during WW1.

So far, I’m only part-way through the years, but Joseph Elliot and Sons, 2-6 Hollis Croft have been found to have worked contracts for Clasp knives, Knives and forks, Nickel silver items, and Razors – a busy place!

I’ll keep at it and may find more. And I’ve also learned something for your query about “substitution” on the History Chat forum. I’ll reply when I have some time.

Peter

Wrong War, wrong County - just for interest ...

WWII. When War broke out, Rola opened a dispersal factory at Bideford in Devon, in the former garage of Messrs Elliot and Sons. Production for the war effort grew apace with the manufacture of the RAF B3 Vacuum Pump, several thousands of which were produced. These were followed into production by the Rotol Airscrew Feathering Pump, four of which were fitted to all British multi-engined bombers. The final product was the Integral Hydraulic Pump BH Mark IV, and all these items contributed in no small measure to the Forces’ need for reliable battle equipment.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/British_Rola