Images Of World War One Sheffield Soldiers

goldilocks

Hi, just joined and not very good on the technicalities, but I was browsing thru and saw that a "Deansgirl" had a

list of men that she had images for and my great Uncle is on that list! Please help, as I would love to have a pic

of him and I don't know how to contact Deansgirl, so if any of you out there could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Hello, I've been here forever.

Gets a little complicated but Deansgirl is a bloke ! Currently going by the name of Trefcon he's on sabbatical, preparing for the Centenary of the oldbreak of World War One and information pertaining to it. However, Stuart0742 is a good mate of his so, either I'll locate Trefcons number or Stuart will get a message to him - complicated ? Not 'arf.

Thank you so much, that is very kind of you! We have no family photo's and until I started my research, all we ever

knew was that Grandma lost some brothers in the Great War! I have since found all 3 and where they are buried or

commemorated and we plan a Spring visit to see them. Once again, thank you so much!

To save yourself a big bunch of time please email your Great Uncle's name and any details you know to SheffieldHistory@Gmail.com, Stuart can see this email and can let Trefcon know what is required; if Trefcon hasn't got an image it probably doesn't exist - he's been at it for years and years ... Welcome to the rather bewildering site !

Hi, just joined and not very good on the technicalities, but I was browsing thru and saw that a "Deansgirl" had a

list of men that she had images for and my great Uncle is on that list! Please help, as I would love to have a pic

of him and I don't know how to contact Deansgirl, so if any of you out there could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Eeek, its Trefcon, that could save us all some time, explanation and thoughts of cross-dressing Sheffield World War One historians .... probably ...

Guest RebeccaMachin

Hello goldilocks. I recently joined for the exact same reason. Although I sent a DM to Trefcon, as unfortunately my great uncle couldn't be found on the date he'd listed. You aren't researching the Howdens are you? Because I think my grandfather might have also lost three brothers! Although I'm not 100% sure of the third. An odd coincidence! If I get the correct date I'll be visiting local studies again soon, so I could also find your great uncle if you'd like?

Would I be better emailing also, RichardB? I'd hate to hassle Trefcon by contacting him twice over the same thing! Although the kind ladies in local studies seemed to think he wouldn't mind me asking about the missing photo. I know he's very busy. :-(

Hi Rebecca, good luck with your search, I found the Commonwealth War Graves info very good and that is how I found all my

3 great Uncles. I am researching the Barnsleys but please let me know if you find any additional info on them. I have all their

service records now and I know how 2 of them died but just trying to find out about the youngest Frank, as he is my dad's namesake

and was only 21 when he died on the 1st of July 1916 and has no known grave but is commemorated on the great wall at Thiepval.

Guest Trefcon

Frank Barnsley for 'Goldilocks'.

Image appeared in the Sheffield Telegraph of 12/8/1916, caption reads -

'Lce-Cpl. F. Barnsley Y. & L., of Channing St. Walkley, Sheffield, missing since July 1st. His mother would be grateful for any news concerning him at the above address.'

Also from the Telegraph of 1/5/1917 -

'BARNSLEY,- Lce-Corpl. Frank, York and Lancs, missing since July 1st, 1916, now officially reported killed, 20, Freedom road, Walkley. Also Pte. T.R. Barnsley, KOYLI. dies in Belgium March 16th 1916 -

From Mother, Sisters, Brother Fred, and Brothers (three), on active service. Their duty nobly done.'

Dean. (bloke)

Wow, I can't tell you all how much this means to my family, not only was his brother dead in Belgium but another brother

was killed in France in 1917. A tragedy for my great Granmother and we have no phot'os of any of them, except my great

Gran who lived to be be over 100 and had an article done on her as she lost 3 sons to the Great War and got a telegram from

the Queen. Thank you again for finding all this info

for me, it is really appreciated.

Thank you for the improved image. Yes, Sarah Jane was my great grandmother on my dad's side of the family and

was a grand old lady, full of life, despite her tragedies, but that was quite normal for their generation as I don't think

a single family escaped the loss of the war. One of her daughters married an American GI after the first world war

and went to live in America and like her sister (my grandmother) named one of her sons after their brother Frank

Barnsley. This son joined the U S Army Air Corps 14 days after Pearl Harbour and trained to be a fighter pilot and

was tragically killed at the age of 21, just like his namesake was.

Guest TheBotanical

Still trying to find an image of Leslie Fred Silas Cave KIA May 1917. He was with the York & Lanc 12th Battalion, no: 1989. If you could find an image then I owe you a pint. Cheers.

Hi, I’m new to this and stumbled across the listing of images whilst googling my great grandfather William Garner. Have tried to send a message to deansgirl/trefcon but was unsuccessful. Sent Richardb the message instead but if you are unable to help me then I would be grateful if can you point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. Heather.

There appear to have been at least 2 William Garners from Sheffield who served in WW1.

Private Garner of the East Yorkshire Regiment was wounded in July 1916 - his photograph from "Photographs from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 1914-1917 vol. 2" (reference Local Studies 940.43 SSTQ) is here:

1259206303_WilliamGarner.jpg.1024ea043e0e48a2f04179554ea62e0e.jpg

Private Garner of the Notts and Derby Regiment was discusssed in the article below from the Daily Telegraph 30th April 1917, though no photograph.

1332068435_WilliamGarner_2.jpg.efec90f3d421bc44266f70fc06f439e6.jpg

Thanks so much - the photo is of my great grandfather! I recently had his medals cleaned and mounted, so to have a photo of him to accompany them is just awesome.

Would you be able to recommend which of the many ancestry/genealogy websites it be worth paying for, to access information about my great grandfather’s service record - is forces war records any good? Thanks in advance, Heather

Most of the WW1 service records were destroyed by German bombing in WW2.  Before spending money purely to access the records, I would check that the records you are interested in survived the Blitz.  I have had a look at Find My Past and there are no WW1 service records found for William Garner.

However - there is a record for a William Garner who joined as a regular aged 17yrs 6 months in 1898.  He would be likley to have been recalled to serve in WW1 and his Regiment was the East Yorks. So if this was your great grandfather you would be able to see any records of his first stint that survive.

This fellow lived at 9 Backfields, Walkley and was a moulder at Osborne and Co.  If he is your great grandfather, send a private message and I can forward copies of his service record.

Thank you very much for researching for me  - unfortunately I don’t think the William Garner you have found a surviving record for could be my great grandfather - he was born in 1895. Thanks for your advice - I’m glad I asked and didn’t just start forking out hand over fist! If I can’t find anything more, then I’m happy to have found a photo of him, much appreciated. 

If you want to risk £3.50 there is a medal card available from the National Archives here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2295683

There's not a great deal of information on them, but you can see a preview of the card before you buy it.  Maybe if you have his medals you could compare them with those listed? There's no guaranteeing it's the correct William Garner but it relates to soldier number 203913, East Yorkshire Regiment

Found it! His service number was 27667 - it’s on the back of one of the medals - might splash out and order it, treat myself for Christmas! Thanks very much. 

30C4E818-CC5B-4AB8-AF13-B80A6F98ECBD.png