247Th And 312Th Bde Royal Field Artillery

bczel01

Hi,

I am researching a relative killed in the Great War.

Through another forum, I have deduced that he was in the 247th and 312th Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery, which I am told were formed in Sheffield. At the time of his death, he was part of the 232nd Brigade (C Bty), and was killed on the same day as another Sheffield man, James Edwin Wilkinson (both buried at Feuchy Chapel British Cemetery, Wancourt).

To pinpoint information from more local sources, I was wondering if anybody had any information on these brigades and their formation?

I am just keen to try and trace as many steps as possible that my relative would have taken, from conscription to his unfortunate demise during the Battle of Arras in 1917.

Thank you in advance.

Chris.

You don't mention your ancestor's name, but James Edwin Wilkinson's military record is available on Ancestry.co.uk. (so with luck your man's records were stored near his and the Luftwaffe didn't destroy them). I only have access to Ancestry by visiting the library, so unless someone finds the information beforehand, I'll wait til my next visit.

Gunner John Henry White 786415. Sadly, I have been unable to find his records online, think they perished. I have posted a lot about this man, but all I had to start with was his dead man's penny, which had non of the paperwork with it. I know he was born in 1896 and worked at the GPO in Fitzallen's Square (where he is commemorated in the Co-op).

Just trying to piece together info about his death and also how he joined the military (through conscription).

Possibly James Edwin Wilkinson's military career mirrored John Henry White's ? They lived 2 and a half miles apart in 1911 (Woodbourn Road / Wallace Road) so may have both signed on at Attercliffe and gone through the same recruitment/allocation to regiment?

Possibly could have taken similar paths. Will take a look at J E Wilkinson's papers online over the weekend. They were both in 232nd Brigade, but John is mentioned as being in C Battery, whereas it is not clear which battery James was with.

Wonder if anyone knows about where they would have signed up (Attercliffe) and what happened next?

Also if anyone has information about the two brigades I mention in the title of this topic.

To add to my last post, both were killed alongside Sgt. N C Cooper, Gnr. W H Emanuel, Gnr. W A Harrison, Gnr. H James (MM) and Gnr. T E Marsden. All with 232nd Brigade and Gunners Emanuel and Marsden noted as being with C Battery. All had regimental numbers beginning '78' apart from Gnr. Emanuel, all killed on 27th April 1917.

Guest Trefcon

From Burngreave cemetery.

As to more info, search for men with a number near his and see if their papers have survived.

Dean.

ps. I have had an image of his Death Penny for a while now, it must have been you that sent it me ?

Yes, I did send you a picture of his death penny. Shame there isn't a photograph or his service record, but I have at least made some advances in tracing his movements, etc.

I will maybe try and look at Wilkinson's army record and see what info might be transferable (recruitment office, etc).

Hi,

I am researching a relative killed in the Great War.

Through another forum, I have deduced that he was in the 247th and 312th Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery, which I am told were formed in Sheffield. At the time of his death, he was part of the 232nd Brigade (C Bty), and was killed on the same day as another Sheffield man, James Edwin Wilkinson (both buried at Feuchy Chapel British Cemetery, Wancourt).

To pinpoint information from more local sources, I was wondering if anybody had any information on these brigades and their formation?

I am just keen to try and trace as many steps as possible that my relative would have taken, from conscription to his unfortunate demise during the Battle of Arras in 1917.

Thank you in advance.

Chris.

I can give you some background. The 312 brigade were originally the 2/3 West Riding Brigade RFA. This means they were a second line territorial brigade and although formed in 1915 didn't see action until 1917. They sailed for France from Southampton on the 7th January 1917 and arrived at Le Havre the day after. They became part of the 62nd Division (2nd West Riding) which was under the command of the 3rd British Army located between the rivers Canche and Authie. At some point your relative was obviously transferred from the 1st line Division, the 49th (1st West Riding) of which the 247th Brigade were part of. I can provide you with lots more information if you like. for example, it seems clear to me that your man was renumbered post 1917 when the RFA underwent a bout of renumbering, this means he will at least one other, different, number than 786415. I have a relative who was in the 2/3, the 312 and the 310 and his numbers are 1851, 14234 and upon the 1917 renumbering 776662 (a number very close to your mans).

You are quite right, he had another number prior to 786415. He has the number 8682 on his medal index card. As much information about his potential movements would be great as not a lot is known about him within the family apart from my research information.