WHO REMEMBERS WHERE THIS IS

mickjj

Looks familiar, but I am struggling to place it... does the building still exist? Sheaf House?

Guest plonko51

Looks familiar, but I am struggling to place it... does the building still exist? Sheaf House?

It's Castle House - The co-op on Angel Street. I remember that the wooden safety rail was put on after it opened following the death of child who fell over the original rail.

It's Castle House - The co-op on Angel Street. I remember that the wooden safety rail was put on after it opened following the death of child who fell over the original rail.

Grrr course it is, I used to run up the stair case whilst my grand mother took the nearby life. I often got up to the destination floor before my gran and went through the doors onto the sales floor... getting strange looks from the sales people.

Thanks for the memory jog.

Guest plonko51

Grrr course it is, I used to run up the stair case whilst my grand mother took the nearby life. I often got up to the destination floor before my gran and went through the doors onto the sales floor... getting strange looks from the sales people.

Do you remember the famous Santa's grottos they used to have there with the background scenery that went round so it gave the impression you were moving. I was 18 before I worked out how they did it. True.

Do you remember the famous Santa's grottos they used to have there with the background scenery that went round so it gave the impression you were moving. I was 18 before I worked out how they did it. True.

lol They did have the best grotto in town. I remember getting really good gifts as well such as hard back books and my favourite a box of metal puzzles.

Did you go there to get your school uniforms as well???

lol They did have the best grotto in town. I remember getting really good gifts as well such as hard back books and my favourite a box of metal puzzles.

Did you go there to get your school uniforms as well???

I remember getting my uniform there. My mum was persuaded to buy the more expensive blazer which I was grateful for as the alternative was a very uncool crimpolene version !

Opening of the single storey Castle House in 1950 - before the staircase!

That one I believe was on the site of the Castle Market.

was your grandmother a particularly angry person?

Guest plain talker

That one I believe was on the site of the Castle Market.

that building, pictured, is bang on the corner of Angel Street and Castle Street, the site which still houses the Co-op, or "Stoo-ers" as my Grandma always called the Co-op. You can see in the background the building that was Suggs, and the Gable end where the Steelworker mosaic is, now.

I don't believe the castle market was anywhere but on the site of the castle market. There is a "Market Place, a little higher up, by the Tram stop at Castle Square.

Looking at the queues, I reckon that pic was one taken as the crowds flocked into the "Stores" the day it finally reopened after being wiped out (marple-ised?) during a bombing raid in the 2nd WW.

Guest mega_monty

"Stoo-ers" as my Grandma always called the Co-op.

My grandma's family used to call the co-op "kwarp" or "quorp"

Guest transit

.....and have you noticed , it looks more or less as fresh as the day it was installed -quality craftmanshiip ! Must be coming up to 40 years old -wish i"d weathered as well !

Used to come into the shop at the higher level so I could run down the stairs sliding my side against the hand rail, knocking old ladies out of the way as I went. You could get away with it when your grandma went in the lift. lol

I still have the two-tone Adidas sports bag bought from there in 1974, "cost a fortune" at the time, with hindsight, it really did cost a lot of the weekly income.

Guest shezza91

There was someone employed by them who operated the lifts.

Sat on a stool just inside the door pressing the buttons.

Guest transit

....as they also had at Castle Market .

Guest mega_monty

Yes usually some miserable old woman, well they seemed old to me as a youngster

Ive done it again.

Didnt have to go into the Coop for anything but just had too. Slid, arm on rail, down two floors running as fast as I could without falling. Its a good job the security wasnt looking. lolhe helol Only shame is that my Grandma is not with us now so she didnt meet me at the bottom of the stairs. Maybe she was there in spirit.

Sue

I might go this Saturday anyone else game. Ill take the lift to the top this time though. he he

My latest photo of the stairs. Please note I thought I had ovecome my fear of heights. I haven,t!!! Can someone with a steadier hand please retake it as I was a little unsteady but I did try. he he

My humble offering

different stairs, same building ...... but looking up

[

I've gone all dizzy now, must be something I ate ....... or drank.

I also remember the staircase in Robert Brothers having the same effect. They also had a display case in the wall on each landig as well. I bet no one has a picture of that. When I was back in May I saw that the bulding was all closed up. Sad really another childhood memory gone. Does anyone know if it is to be demolished??