Woodland View Chapel

jhcrawshaw

I'd love to know if anyone has access to any baptism or marriage records for the now demolished Woodland View Chapel on Stannington Road as I would love to know if any of my CRAWSHAW family ever had any family events at this chapel?

I did try to get some info from the Stanwood Methodist Church a few years ago but without success.

=============================================================================

Article taken from: "The Second Hillsborough by her people"

(by Hillsborough Local History group)

The article written by: Mrs. S. Eggenton

"This small chapel was built in Stannington Road just above the Anvil Inn, in the area previously known as Stannington Wood End. Before this, members of the "New Society" had held their services and meetings in the cottages of the district, under the care of local preacher, Matthew Boyce. he must have been a remarkable man, as he was working and preaching until in his 80's.

The site for the chapel was donated by Mrs. Armitage of Wood Lane House who gave generous help with all the expenses of the project. The foundation stone was laid on 12th March 1860, by Mrs. Armitage's son, and the building was completed and opened in the same year. Around 200 people attended the foundation service and the collection amounted to £54, £50 of this was given by Mrs. Armitage and her son. Afterwards a tea was held in the schoolroom which raised another £6.

The plans were presented free of charge by Mr. H.D. Lomas, and the building work was done by Mr. J. Wilson of Sheffield, for the sum of £424.19s.0d. Unfortunately, the building was not completely paid for, when their good friend, Mrs. Armitage died suddenly. this left the small group struggling to pay the debt.

By 1881 the congregation was about 29 at morning service and 50 in the evenings. At this time, additions to the building were made. These provided a Vestry, Primary Schoolroom and a Kitchen.

Again, in 1929, difficulties arose. There was the need for a great number of repairs and also modernisation work. However, the members made great efforts and the work was completed free from debt.

During this period, help was still forthcoming from Wood Lane House, as Professor and Mrs. Statham, who now lived there, gave great support and encouragement to all aspects of the work needed to keep the chapel going.

There was a flourishing Sunday School, and emphasis was on all work in connection with young people. This included a Sports Club, Concerts, Christian Endeavour, Prayer Meetings and even on occasions a Jazz Band and Fancy Dress Parade.

One of the highlights of the year was the Procession to Hillsborough Park on Whit-Mondays for the communal hymn singing. We walked behind the Sunday School Banner all dressed up in our new Sunday Clothes. The Banner was carried by teachers or older scholars, and each school had its own position in the line.

Another high spot was the tea in the schoolroom after the races and games held in the sports field on Myers Grove Lane.

In those days, the Anniversary Sermons were held outdoors (weather permitting). The platform was erected on the sports field, and it was a great adventure for the children to climb to the top rows, whilst the grown up choir were on the lower ones.

Woodland View was closed on 2nd September 1972 and the new Stanwood Methodist Church was opened on 9th September 1972. It was felt that here, on the corner of Stannington Road and Stanwood Road, it could more easily reach the population of the new housing estates around Roscoe Bank and Deerpark.

When the original chapel was built in 1860, it also was meant to work amongst the then new housing area of Woodland View. It is strange how history repeats itself.

The new Stanwood Church was, and still is, a great challenge to it's members, but they soldier valiantly on, remembering the motto which was painted over the pulpit in the original chapel.

"Jehovah Jireh" (The Lord Will Provide)

Guest trierncheerly

)Rockets' weak offensive at the crucial moment is indeed a very serious problem A NASCAR collection of hats from different drivers is very popular The Steelers have considered to make the Sidney Crosby Jersey sleekAndre Johnson White Jersey attractive and yet the most unfussy and actual logo in the full tourThat one could throw away Five different minute aiming a slidemovie or leaving whom to actually Myspace or Hub pagesNow that you know that there are cheap NFL jerseys out there for you to purchase and they are high quality and authenticMatt Forte Orange Jersey where can you find them? One of the best places for that is through large online auctions and other internet sites

I am really pleased that someone else remembers this church. I moved onto Stanwood in 1965 ish and made friends with a lad called Ross Jackson , he lived with his parents on Wood Lane opposite the Myers Grove playing fields almost directly opposite the entrance to the farm that is sandwiched between Myers Grove and Shooters Grove Schools.

Under pressure from Ross's parents I went along with him to the chapel , it always smelled abit damp and musty to me , at the time I would have been 11 or 12 years old , Ross would have been a couple of years older. Being that age I admitedly did "mess about abit" which brought me to the attention of the verger , I did not like him at all , I found him a very menicing individual , so much so that I made absolutely sure never to be in a room on my own alone with him. After a short period and my run-in with the so called authority I decided that the church was just too boring for me .

The new church was built at the Stannington Road end of Stanwood Road , I can remember that being constructed but I don't think I've ever been inside it .(In fact I didn't know that to two churches were connected until I read this article).

The old Woodland View chuch near the junction of Stannington Road and Wood Lane may have been abandoned in 1972 but I don't think it was demolished for a few years ater that . I seem to remember being about 16 at the time maybe 17 and getting off a bus directly outside it , or is my memory playing tricks on me ?

The site of the new church was where a prefab developement once stood , there were prefabs all along Stanwood Road , all made of asbestos sheet , when these were demolished they were just smashed to pieces , there was no fencing off or hazardous waste disposal proceedure , these days Health and Safety would be having a fit !

What I can remember about the sevices at Woodland View Chapel was that the Vicar (Is that the methodist word) seemed to be obsessed with the helping of the poor in India , it sounded to me like we were all going to be shipped out there to hand out bibles and food, As a young school lad I did question the finer points of this and came to the conclusion that "The very Very Victorian Vicar in his very Very Victorian Chapel was talking very Very Victorian Balderdash and Piffle"

Thanks for reading my memories , Regards Chris (Tel xxxxxxxxx)

The site of the new church was where a prefab developement once stood , there were prefabs all along Stanwood Road , all made of asbestos sheet , when these were demolished they were just smashed to pieces , there was no fencing off or hazardous waste disposal proceedure , these days Health and Safety would be having a fit !

As a very young child I lived in one of those pre-fabs, number 56 towards the Wood Lane end.

My parents moved into it from new, but a couple of extremely cold immediatly post war winters saw them arranging a swop with an old couple who rented a two up and two down off Holme Lane.

As a child standing washing in cold water at the sink in the off-shot kitchen and trudging across the garden to an outside toilet, I often wondered if they should have tried to last out a bit longer. Especially when I had a distant memory of a pristine bathroom with hot water laid on.

I remember the old chapel which I think was surrounded by allotments.

HD

I am really pleased that someone else remembers this church. I moved onto Stanwood in 1965 ish and made friends with a lad called Ross Jackson , he lived with his parents on Wood Lane opposite the Myers Grove playing fields almost directly opposite the entrance to the farm that is sandwiched between Myers Grove and Shooters Grove Schools.

Under pressure from Ross's parents I went along with him to the chapel , it always smelled abit damp and musty to me , at the time I would have been 11 or 12 years old , Ross would have been a couple of years older. Being that age I admitedly did "mess about abit" which brought me to the attention of the verger , I did not like him at all , I found him a very menicing individual , so much so that I made absolutely sure never to be in a room on my own alone with him. After a short period and my run-in with the so called authority I decided that the church was just too boring for me .

The new church was built at the Stannington Road end of Stanwood Road , I can remember that being constructed but I don't think I've ever been inside it .(In fact I didn't know that to two churches were connected until I read this article).

The old Woodland View chuch near the junction of Stannington Road and Wood Lane may have been abandoned in 1972 but I don't think it was demolished for a few years ater that . I seem to remember being about 16 at the time maybe 17 and getting off a bus directly outside it , or is my memory playing tricks on me ?

What I can remember about the sevices at Woodland View Chapel was that the Vicar (Is that the methodist word) seemed to be obsessed with the helping of the poor in India , it sounded to me like we were all going to be shipped out there to hand out bibles and food, As a young school lad I did question the finer points of this and came to the conclusion that "The very Very Victorian Vicar in his very Very Victorian Chapel was talking very Very Victorian Balderdash and Piffle"

Thanks for reading my memories , Regards Chris (Tel 07748403815)