Wharncliffe Hotel Interior

RichardB

Guest Barbara M

Bevercoates Road, Firth Park? I have read it had a concert room but I didn't think it would be that sort of concert ;-)

In the late '50s early '60s the concert room was at the back of the building right across the full width ( opposite the front entrance with the bar on the right hand side ) & they had groups such as the Grey Cats & talent nights. On the left hand side off the bar were two small lounges.

Also underneath the building with the access from the rear was a ballroom but I never heard of it being in use.

I know this as I met my husband in the Wharncliffe in 1960 but is the pub still open ?

I used to go in there quite often in the 60's. I used to go to school with the Landlord's daughter. She was a beauty!

I am told that during the last war the Concert Room was the venue for classical music events including one at which Dame Myra Hess appeared.

I went to The Wharncliffe  pub on Bevercotes Road in Firth Park occasionally from late 1984 to mid 1986. I was living in Fir Vale and it was easy walking distance from along Hinde House Lane.

There was often live music in the 'concert room' with its low stage. I particularly remember a blues/jazz/funk band with backing singers and a guitarist/singer who was pretty good and who fronted the band. They used to do a very respectable rendition of George Benson's version of 'On Broadway' with an extended intro and long jazzy/bluesy guitar solo.

I don't remember the name of the band or the guitarist, but I got the impression they were well known locally and the there was a decent audience with people dancing each time I saw them.  Does anyone recognize the band/guitarist and if they are still performing?