A Really Long Shot

Guest indaloman

Guest indaloman

During WWII my mother, bless her heart, decided to take me from the East London docks area to the safety of Sheffield!!!!

My hope is someone can guess in which part of your fair city I lived in. My recollection is that we were boarded at the top of a hill in a row of terrace houses. Opposite was a very large brick building with an iron fence around it, and I can not remember ever hearing a sound comming from this place, and the fact it retained its fence was strange as in London every fence, gate and railings was removed for the war effort.

I used to walk down the hill to a school were I was taught by nuns, so it may have been attached to a nunnery. I seem to recall that there were shops etc close by as I used to buy an Oxo cube to suck!

Does anyone have an inkling as to where we lived?

Thanks

That's some challenge ! Welcome to the site Indaloman and thanks for the mystery.

Terrace houses - brick or stone front ?

Initial thought just for discussion, Dykes Hall Road/Minto Road, Hillsborough, nuns ran an educational place/orphanage, there was a fenced area, small railings mind you; shops nearby and a school (years unknown) where Woolies was at Hillsborough Corner, Simpkins was a large brick building, but not on the hill, on the flat, had a big brick fence and was almost silent in operation - just a wild guess, for discussion. Any other ideas please ?

The large brick building is also high up the hill ?

During WWII my mother, bless her heart, decided to take me from the East London docks area to the safety of Sheffield!!!!

My hope is someone can guess in which part of your fair city I lived in. My recollection is that we were boarded at the top of a hill in a row of terrace houses. Opposite was a very large brick building with an iron fence around it, and I can not remember ever hearing a sound comming from this place, and the fact it retained its fence was strange as in London every fence, gate and railings was removed for the war effort.

I used to walk down the hill to a school were I was taught by nuns, so it may have been attached to a nunnery. I seem to recall that there were shops etc close by as I used to buy an Oxo cube to suck!

Thanks

... WWII Sheffield

... which part of your fair city ...

boarded at the top of a hill in a row of terrace houses.

Opposite was a very large brick building with an iron fence around it, no sound.

... walk down the hill to a school were I was taught by nuns, ... nunnery ?

... shops etc close by ...

Thanks

My Mother born and bred Sheffielderionian attended, by her own estimate, 38 different "schools", basically peoples houses. So, Nuns could have been "helping out" anywhere, maybe not even a real school.

How many Catholic Schools in Sheffield during the WW2 years ?

My Mother born and bred Sheffielderionian attended, by her own estimate, 38 different "schools", basically peoples houses. So, Nuns could have been "helping out" anywhere, maybe not even a real school.

That narrows it down a bit .. lol

More questions :)

Can you confirm that your's is a catholic family (there are protestant nuns)?

If so, do you remember going to church? Could you walk to church or did you take some sort of transport? Was the church on a hill?

Was your school small or big (one class/more than one, lots of teachers?) Lots of stairs or all on one level? did it have a playing field?

Intelligent, I like it ....

More questions :)

Can you confirm that your's is a catholic family (there are protestant nuns)?

If so, do you remember going to church? Could you walk to church or did you take some sort of transport? Was the church on a hill?

Was your school small or big (one class/more than one, lots of teachers?) Lots of stairs or all on one level? did it have a playing field?

Could be Walkley....St Josephs was "A walk down a hill( If you lived above it lol)...South rd shops are close by....just a wild guess though