Deeply Unfashionable, That'll Be Me.

RichardB

Must be a slow news day :) . . . however, I must say, I miss them.

We are not on town water or town sewerage. So we must be careful how we treat the bugs in our septic tank.

Wouldn't want them to turn blue and white would we?

I like a toilet-blue and the effect it produces, does anyone else still use toilet blocks ?

Yes, still use them, but the sort that you drop into the cistern rather than hang in the rim of the bowl. Blue for preference, or colourless, but not green and pine scented.

A few years ago we had a problem with the valve, and the plumber we called was I think in retirement but still doing the odd bit. He was immaculately turned out in a crisp blue bib and braces overall, on the front of which was embroidered a picture of a stopcock, and the words "Know where your stopcock is."

He took the lid off the cistern and said disapprovingly "Mm, I see you use a block."

"Why, does it damage something?"

"No, it gets under my fingernails. The only thing that should go down a lavatory is human excrement."

A bit of a character, but an excellent workman. By the time he'd finished it was better than new, and hasn't given any problems since, and it's quite a few years ago.. We still use blocks though, but the conversation has stayed with me...

Yes, still use them, but the sort that you drop into the cistern rather than hang in the rim of the bowl. Blue for preference, or colourless, but not green and pine scented.

A few years ago we had a problem with the valve, and the plumber we called was I think in retirement but still doing the odd bit. He was immaculately turned out in a crisp blue bib and braces overall, on the front of which was embroidered a picture of a stopcock, and the words "Know where your stopcock is."

He took the lid off the cistern and said disapprovingly "Mm, I see you use a block."

"Why, does it damage something?"

"No, it gets under my fingernails. The only thing that should go down a lavatory is human excrement."

A bit of a character, but an excellent workman. By the time he'd finished it was better than new, and hasn't given any problems since, and it's quite a few years ago.. We still use blocks though, but the conversation has stayed with me...

I also use the Blue blocks that go in the cistern, Somtimes it's best not to see what you have disposed of..