What's The Nearest Church Please ... ?

RichardB

What is/was the nearest Church to Green Lane and the Cornish Works please ?

I know St. Philips was close but I think there was one much closer; seem to remember a tree growing out of the middle of where the roof used to be and a lunchtime offer from a "lady of the night" ... "Yes, I'm lost, I know exactly where I am - just 160 years adrift" ... St. E....... possibly, on E..... Street maybe. Got ancestors from Dixon Street which isn't far.

Thanks.

On the other side of the river, across the Ball Bridge, was St Michael and All Angels (Neepsend)

1890 town plan

The road running acroos this view is Neepsend Lane.

Or maybe you're thinking about Ebenezer, actually on Green Lane? Or the school behind it which was damaged by fire several years ago and has been derelict for a long time - could have trees growing in it.

Town Plan 1890

Ebenezer Place, I was thinking street. The building with the tree is indeed the old school.

Thank you.

Or maybe you're thinking about Ebenezer, actually on Green Lane? Or the school behind it which was damaged by fire several years ago and has been derelict for a long time - could have trees growing in it.

This is Ebenezer Street with the old school, although it was taken five years ago,

it is in a much worst state today and as you say with the tree growing out of the roof.

Across the road is the church were I was christened many many years ago.

160 years ago places the timeframe at 1852, or thereabouts.

St Philips, Infirmary Road opened C1828 and closed in 1940 and the parish united with St Annes in 1941. After 1857, burials were transfered to Wardsend, although memorial services did continue.

The adjoining parishes are:-

St Bartholomew, Langsett Road C 1882-1960; M 1882-1956; demolished and replaced with new 1990's

St Mary, Walkley C 1869 onwards; M 1870 onwards; B 1880 onwards; still extant I think

St Nathanael, Crooksmoor C 1902-1978; M 1912-1979; closed 1979

St Stephen, Fawcett Street C 1858-1940; M 1859-1940; closed 1940

St Anne, Hoyle Street C 1883-1941; M 1884-1929; closed 1941

St Jude, Eldon Street C 1849-1939; M 1849-1939; closed C1939

St Michael and All Angels, Neepsend C 1867 onwards; M 1868 onwards; demolished 1955

Hi UR

I think some of the closure dates on your church list are wrong.

I know of two that are incorrect and I'm doubtfull of some of the others.

St Stephens Fawcett Street was still open well after my sister married there in 1966.

Also St Annes Dover Street [ where the main entrance was ] was still open in 1963-4

I lived a few doors away from it and at Christmas all the neighbours went to Christmas

service, maybe the only time we went to church except for weddings and funerals.

Guest binsted71

160 years ago places the timeframe at 1852, or thereabouts. ....

I was baptised at St. Anne's, Hoyle Street in 1943 and I remember being in the 'Wolf Cubs' in the early '50's. My sister was in the 'Brownies'.

On a smaller scale this is everything I hoped for when discussing "the pubs" list with Tsavo years ago.

A bunch of data presented for considerations, a constructive criticism and hopefully an improved version of the original data without any tantrums. Then we cycle again, data, improve.

Lovely.

I could have still been working on the original pub list !

Hi UR

Hi UR

I know of two that are incorrect and I'm doubtfull of some of the others.

St Stephens Fawcett Street was still open well after my sister married there in 1966.

Also St Annes Dover Street [ where the main entrance was ] was still open in 1963-4

I lived a few doors away from it and at Christmas all the neighbours went to Christmas service, maybe the only time we went to church except for weddings and funerals.

Hi UL [uL + UR - what's going on?]

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding St Stephens, I found this on their own website, so we are both right, I think.

"In 1940 the church closed, and reopened about 1957 as a community centre as (St. Stephen’s House) Then reopened in 1964 as the Church of the United Benefice of St. Stephen’s with St. Philip and St. Anne."

Regarding St Annes, Hoyle Street, my source for this information was The Small Guide to the Parishes in the Sheffield Area, published Sheffield and District FHS, which interestingly, does state "St Annes Parish was created in 1884 from SS Peter and Paul. The building closed and the parish united with St Philip in 1941."

Hi UL [uL + UR - what's going on?]

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding St Stephens, I found this on their own website, so we are both right, I think.

"In 1940 the church closed, and reopened about 1957 as a community centre as (St. Stephen's House) Then reopened in 1964 as the Church of the United Benefice of St. Stephen's with St. Philip and St. Anne."

Regarding St Annes, Hoyle Street, my source for this information was The Small Guide to the Parishes in the Sheffield Area, published Sheffield and District FHS, which interestingly, does state "St Annes Parish was created in 1884 from SS Peter and Paul. The building closed and the parish united with St Philip in 1941."

Hi UR

I wonder who writes this rubbish , perhaps someone who's not from Sheffield.

The parish did unite with St Philips after the closing of St Philips but St Annes building did not close in 1941.

I have a picture of my cousin as a bride stood outside the church in 1959 and as binstead says the brownies and

scout were still in existance then.

My sister was a brownie there in 1959 and she tried to enlist me but it wasn't for me.

Looking at your first post I've noticed that you have put of the churches . . Date C to date , Date M to date, Date B to date.

Meaning Christening was from such a date to such a date and Marriages to such a date Burials etc.

In the Look up Church books in the archives they tell you the same thing when the Christening ,Marriages and Burials

began and ended at each church and most of them come up with this date 1941 when finished even though I know of some

taking place after that date. ???

Does it mean they only hold the records up to that date?

I don't know if it's relevant, but in the Sheffield Diocese the deposit of Parish records with the Archives is at the discretion of the PCC, so some records may well still be held elsewhere, (usually at the church).

I don't know if it's relevant, but in the Sheffield Diocese the deposit of Parish records with the Archives is at the discretion of the PCC, so some records may well still be held elsewhere, (usually at the church).

Thank you Bayleaf. maybe that's the answer to it then.

Although going back to the St Annes and St Philips it was said to be written

" The building was closed and the parish united with St Philips in 1941 "

I believe it was meaning that St Philips was closed and from then St Annes was called St Annes / St Philips,

just as when St Annes closed St Stephens was then called , St Stephens / St Annes / St Philips.

Although I lived on the doorstep of St Annes it had closed before I got married so I had to marry at St Stephens.