What Is This Thing Called Please ?

RichardB

The cutting edge.

Never knew it was called that.

But a sheet of water running down some shaped stainless steel panels isn't exactly "Cutting Edge" technology is it?

I take it that it gets its name, the cutting edge, from some of our local industrial products (cutting tools, cutlery etc, and as such is an artistic representation of the City.

Must admit it looks good when you see it.

Thank you, I have seen this, didn't know what to make of it. Anyone got any further images please, preferably from a distance, difficult to visualise it from close up photographs.

Thanks in advance.

The cutting edge.

It is supposed to represent an ingot of steel (the round end) being shaped to a knife edge (the pointy end). Sadly for the city of steel I believe it ws made in Bristol!

Sadly for the city of steel I believe it ws made in Bristol!

In that case the water flowing over it will be from the Bristol Channel, - provided by Severn - Trent! <_<

Thank you, I have seen this, didn't know what to make of it. Anyone got any further images please, preferably from a distance, difficult to visualise it from close up photographs.

Thanks in advance.

"The urinal" seems a much more suitable name than "the cutting edge".

Afterall, only Sheffield Council could plonk a partially built toilet, so that it obstructs the view of Charles Trubshaw's excellent, 1870, stone built facade.

Sorry to be something of a traditionalist, but not one for me.

Having said that, the water features squeezed between the urinal and the facade are quite a nice feature. Low key and in keeping with their surroundings.

Unlike that cheap, shoddy monstrosity that adjoins them.

Afterall, only Sheffield Council could plonk a partially built toilet, so that it obstructs the view of Charles Trubshaw's excellent, 1870, stone built facade.

Sorry to be something of a traditionalist, but not one for me.

Having said that, the water features squeezed between the urinal and the facade are quite a nice feature. Low key and in keeping with their surroundings.

Unlike that cheap, shoddy monstrosity that adjoins them.

Something tells me it was not cheap <_<

Afterall, only Sheffield Council could plonk a partially built toilet,

An "open" (not inside a toilet building) urinal :o

I am sure that there are public decency laws that would prevent anyone from actually using it for the intended purpose of a urinal.

Something tells me it was not cheap <_<

The Council probably thought it was cheap when they wasted a fortune of local ratepayers money on it! :angry:

An "open" (not inside a toilet building) urinal :o

I am sure that there are public decency laws that would prevent anyone from actually using it for the intended purpose of a urinal.

I admit that, I was being flippant as well as being derogatory about the thing, BUT, perhaps, now that we are part of the European Union, we are adopting European Ways. Afterall, outside, urinals are still common in France and the Netherlands.

I did once, in desperation, use such a device, whilst staying in Rotterdam, some few years ago, as there seemed to be no obvious, more traditional facility to hand. I must admit that you do feel rather "exposed" if you know what I mean. Although, no one else seemed remotely phased by my activities and those of my neighbours in the adjoining "booths".

Put a dirty great big, non-see-through fence around the whole thing and turn off the lights, electricity and urine don't traditionally mix well, and very many Sheffield Gentlemen could use the Sheffield Station facility. Not a lot of use to the female population mind you. lol

I admit that, I was being flippant as well as being derogatory about the thing, BUT, perhaps, now that we are part of the European Union, we are adopting European Ways. Afterall, outside, urinals are still common in France and the Netherlands.

I did once, in desperation, use such a device, whilst staying in Rotterdam, some few years ago, as there seemed to be no obvious, more traditional facility to hand. I must admit that you do feel rather "exposed" if you know what I mean. Although, no one else seemed remotely phased by my activities and those of my neighbours in the adjoining "booths".

So the European Union gets blamed yet again for imposing itself over and above traditional British ways.

I'm sure they get blamed for more than they are actually responsible for.

Arn't some of these Continental urinals actually nothing more than a hole in the ground?

Put a dirty great big, non-see-through fence around the whole thing and turn off the lights, electricity and urine don't traditionally mix well, and very many Sheffield Gentlemen could use the Sheffield Station facility. Not a lot of use to the female population mind you. lol

On the Continent some ladies toilets are just as bad, exposed and as primitive as the previously mentioned mens ones, and sometimes the 2 are hardly separated at all, but as Unitedite Returns has already said, peolple don't seem to bother about it all and take it all as being perfectly normal.