Brown Bayleys Attercliffe

popadodge

I,ve looked on here for any threads and can't find any...if there is none that really surprises me. To say how big it was and the site it stood on. Is there a thread on here?

Literally had an official history of Brown Bayleys in my hands yesterday at Local Studies, just there on open shelves. Along with Cammell Lairds and Firth Browns.

Dean.

Started my first job at BB 1968 with my mate Rob West he left and went to fletchers bread sadly he died at 21... (junior operative) was the job title the Idea was to work in 12 different departments, a month in each then to decide which department to stay in and make a career of it well I did six departments and left to work on the furniture removals. Memories of being there though I will never forget, some great blokes and charactors My wage was 3pounds 6shillings and 2 pence a week and I used to get half of that again from the men having a whipround. My favourite memories of being there was when I was told to fetch something from the other end of the factory with the lister truck ( a little three wheeler truck) I'll see if I can find a picture and post it... all the wagons in the yard were steam driven too..brilliant. When I go down attercliffe common now I can't imagine how it used to be literaly loads of buses with hundreds of workers swapping shifts, mornings, afternoons,nights, and day shifts, all times of the day. unbeleivable that its all just gone all the pubs where alive with characters of all shapes and sizes.

some pics here

Guest lebourg

Hi

My dad worked at Brown Bayleys on Old Hall Rd.

He used to drive the overhead electro magnate crane until the fumes got to him. Crane cab over the top of the charging furnace got all the fumes.

After that he turned cannon barrels for spitfires until they called him up and sent him to Egypt with the Royal Engineers.

I can remember going to the docs on Old Hall Rd. Think they called him Pettigrew.

Can also remember the Police station and Fire station where my aunty worked during the war.

For the first 5 years of my life I lived opposite the acid works. Used to watch the trucks arriving with great big glass carboys of acid.

The windows of the house were all brown and pitted from the acid fumes.

No wonder my chest aint so good!!!